120mm AIO vs Hyper 212 Evo for i7 7700K

TronX33

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
So I've decided to do a completely new build with a much higher budget this time around, and I wanted to water cool both the GPU and CPU. I really liked the look of the S340 and so naturally I want to have this new build be in the S340 Elite, but the issue is the limited fan support. It only supports a 280mm radiator in the front which I plan to cool the GPU with as it'll benefit the most for gaming, but the maximum size of the rear fan slot is 120mm, which makes me ask whether just a cheap Hyper 212 Evo would outperform the cooler.

Solution
The better air coolers, like that Cryorig, are generally better than the 120mm AIOs.
And cheaper and quieter.

It's not until you get into the larger AIO or custom loops that liquid becomes better.
But also more costly, and often a bit noisier.

If you're going to go with an air cooler, and not go with a big ol thing, pick up a Cryorg H7. Cools much better than the Evo and will look a lot better through the window.

The 7700K is a hot beast naturally, and if you want to overclock it, you need a pretty decent cooling solution. I have an EVO 212, but azaran's suggestion of a Cryoig is better. They are better reviewed on performance. You could also look at water cooling if you want to get a little crazy, but definitely review those..there are a lot of people post here with symptoms of failed pumps.

If you want your cooler will last for few years then dont go for AIO we see daily 4-5 posts of Pump fail and i myself victim of 3 dead AIO but now i bought the Air Cooler Coolermaster Master Air 8 and i am happy with it its the closest i found in performance of AIO

TronX33

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015

Thanks, if i do go the air cooler route I'll definitely take a look at that.
I should have worded my question a bit differently I guess. What I'm asking is basically if going with an air cooler like the Cryorig one would yield better temps than a 120mm AIO.

USAFRet

Titan
The better air coolers, like that Cryorig, are generally better than the 120mm AIOs.
And cheaper and quieter.

It's not until you get into the larger AIO or custom loops that liquid becomes better.
But also more costly, and often a bit noisier.

Solution