[SOLVED] 120mm case fan sounds like a hdd ticking

Status
Not open for further replies.

paulb104

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
My intake fan is 120mm and sounds EXACTLY like a hard drive ticking. It's not loud but I've been building pc's since 1993 so I hear it...

Is there any kind of fix for this, or is it just a replacement?

Cooler Master
A12025-12CB-3EN-F1
DF1202512SELN
and has stamped in red 2013-05-08

Solution
Use a bright flashlight to inspect the fan. Maybe even a magnifying glass to help.

Blades, housing, wire routing, etc.. Look for signs of contact and/or damage. Debris on blades and housing.

Lots of dust? If so, clean.

Gently tighten the screws, check the power connector.

The date suggests that the fan is over 7 years old - could just be at its' designed EOL (End of Life).

Ralston18

Titan
Use a bright flashlight to inspect the fan. Maybe even a magnifying glass to help.

Blades, housing, wire routing, etc.. Look for signs of contact and/or damage. Debris on blades and housing.

The date suggests that the fan is over 7 years old - could just be at its' designed EOL (End of Life).

Solution

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020

Everything the guru above said also can he use some WD-40 after doing all you said above and still hearing the sound. Then if that doesn't work then it is time for a new fan upgrade hehe.😲☮🖐🤷‍♀️💯

Ralston18

Titan
No.

I would not use WD-40 or any other lubricate for that matter.

Being an older fan lubrication may or may not be possible.

Far simpler and less risky to just install a new fan and have no need to worry about unforeseen consequences if the lubricate application goes astray in some manner or has other adverse side effects.

paulb104

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2007
I would not use WD-40 or any other lubricate for that matter....Far simpler and less risky to just install a new fan and have no need to worry about unforeseen consequences if the lubricate application goes astray in some manner or has other adverse side effects.

To this I agree. No need to have WD-40 in my case at all, in any capacity.

Blades, housing, wire routing, etc.. Look for signs of contact and/or damage. Debris on blades and housing. Lots of dust? If so, clean. Gently tighten the screws, check the power connector. The date suggests that the fan is over 7 years old - could just be at its' designed EOL (End of Life).

My first step was to take the box outside and give it a good cleaning. Vacuum, compressed air, then q-tips and cloth with isopropyl. The fan, and just about everything else, looks almost as good as new. The case hasn't been opened in probably three years, or even longer. The noise just started a few months ago and then it finally dawned on me that I don't HAVE a hdd in there.

Replacement seems the simplest route then. The fan is hidden in the front of the Cooler Master HAF XB ATX Desktop Case, so I don't need anything fancy, just quiet. I am thinking about the Kingwin 120mm CF-012LB, with 19 dB(A), 40CFM, and 100k hours life expentancy. It's got both the 3 and 4 pin plugs on it, which is good since I don't remember which one my current one has. Plus, it's inexpensive.
https://amazon.com/gp/product/B002YFP8BK

Status
Not open for further replies.