Question 120mm case fans

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
Trying to decide between the Coolmaster Jetpro and the Corsair ML

Currently I have the Thermaltake Riing plus and I find that the flow isn't quite enough. The Corsairs seem to be SP so the flow is about the same. With the Coolmasters they seem to flow more, question is, can they be used for rads?? as they are not SP, please don't ask why not another fan, I am only considering the two, thanks.

Sweet_3

Reputable
Apr 29, 2017
Static pressure fans are meant to push air through rads, air flow fans are not, they will still work, but it is not what they were designed to do. I don't think you can expect AF fans to work better than SP fans on a rad.

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
So maybe I keep six of the Corair ML's for the rad and exchange the rest, which are not obstructed, with the CM's.
I checked the CFM's on each, and the Pro's are good to 84.5 and the non pros are 95, so as the non pros seem to have a faster flow, is there a reason to go with the pros? Just asking this is a bit new for me.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You can't go by just a few figures. You have to look at the whole picture. Those fans state maximum airflow at maximum rpm. Nobody runs their case fans maxed out if they can avoid it. But fans operate on a curve, not a linear line, so as you start dropping rpm, cfm goes down faster.

If cfm was the only consideration, you might as well opt for a Delta 8k server fan, as that's far and above any cfm or static pressure put out by any fan on pcpartpicker.com by a long way. Just bring earplugs, you'll need them.

The ML's, especially the non-rgb, are considerably better suited for rads than the Jetflow's are. You have to take into consideration that a rad is not designed for uber fast airflow, it'll actually loose performance as the air is moving too fast to actually help much in the dissipation process. Just as high static pressure and low cfm doesn't do much either. There's got to be a balance.

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
Okay cool, I will keep six of the ML's for the rad, 3 pushing, 3 pulling. the rest I will go with the CM's was just wondering why the pros over the non pros, as price is close, and the cfm's are close, just wondering if it's maybe a build quality issue? I have never had them, so I can't say. And I guess I am an exception, I run all 16 fans at max and the noise doesn't bug me at all, but then again, right now I am with Thermaltake's and they only max out at 1,600 rpms. I had a few Delta's running at 3,000 rpms, but yes, I totally agree that gets a bit much, but it was a real nice breeze :)

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's a lot of fans. Have you reached the point of diminishing returns yet? Because even with half that many, you are still way beyond the norms.

For instance the push/pull on the rad often doesn't show much, if any gains nowadays with the efficiency of the fans compared to 5-6 years ago. Ppl are averaging only 2-3°C gain under a stress test, gaming being next to no change at all that's noticeable.

The MF pro are 6-20db, the jetflow are upto 36db, but the jetflow are also an older, less efficient design all around, and can easily hit 0.4A draw. The MF pull 0.07A to 0.18A which can make a huge difference to a header, or even a hub if it's maxed out on fans. Big difference to the internal circuitry if you are pulling 4A vrs 1.8A with 10 fans on the hub.

So the cost of a few cfm is a far more efficient motor and fan design, that's only half as loud. If you run with the CM MF120 AP's instead of the AF's, you'll loose more cfm, but gain in SP.

You could probably run all those fans, at half speed and not loose anything on temps. Most fans peak performance ratio is about 70% rpm, the last 30% only gaining about 5% on performance, and doubling the db output, or more.

When you consider you are pushing @ 800ish cfm and most normal setups are looking at 100-200cfm movement, you have plenty of headroom to play and not have max fans.

Last edited:

Brian_278

Honorable
Aug 5, 2017
Thanks so much for the info, I will "tinker" a bit and see. I have two 1080 ti xe's running and it's hot enough inside to cook a turkey :) having the Delta's for that short time, did bring temps down a bit, and I will take a bit if that's all I can get. I will keep the Corairs for the rad and get a couple of the CM Pros and a couple of the Jetflo's and see how things go. I do enjoy "tinkering" so all good I just always like the information I get from you guys before doing any more involved tinkering, thanks so much!!

Last edited: