[SOLVED] 120mm fan on NH-D15s

Dec 5, 2019
Hi! I've currently got a noctua D15s to cool my cpu and the only reason that i didn't get the normal D15 was because my case wasn't tall enough (s340 elite). I would like to get a 120mm fan to put on it so i have 3 questions i'd like to ask relating to this: 1. Is this possible?, 2. Is this a good idea? and which 120mm fan should I choose? Sorry if this is a silly question but I feel the urge to double check these things.

Solution
  1. 1, Possible yes as an engineer anything is possible. ;)
  2. Is it a good idea? No, those are pretty much the best fans money can buy for that usage.
  3. The hole pattern will mount any 120mm fan but you need something with ether high static pressure or high airflow in order not to kill the effectiveness of the cooler.
NF-A12x25 $29 " Best"
Noctua NF-P12 redux $14 "
NF-F12 $20

These will perform close to the same as each other and a few degrees less than the OEM's.
Hi! I've currently got a noctua D15s to cool my cpu and the only reason that i didn't get the normal D15 was because my case wasn't tall enough (s340 elite). I would like to get a 120mm fan to put on it so i have 3 questions i'd like to ask relating to this: 1. Is this possible?, 2. Is this a good idea? and which 120mm fan should I choose? Sorry if this is a silly question but I feel the urge to double check these things.
Which CPU do you have?
Adding a good fan will lower temps by 3-5° C.
That's a very good heatsink, so I suggest you install it as is, and if you need those extras degrees then install a fan.
That fan that comes with the heatsink is a 140mm fan (Noctua NF-A15)
You will also need a bracket to install another fan.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2019
Which CPU do you have?
Adding a good fan will lower temps by you 3-5° C.
That's a very good heatsink, so I suggest you install it as is, and if you need those extras degrees then install a fan.
You will also need a bracket to install another fan.
I have a 9700k and i dont think i necassarily need it any cooler but i guess i'd like it. Also im pretty sure i have a spare pair of brackets from when i got the the D15s.

Crush,
  1. Anything is possible, I've tie wrapped a fan to side of large/long cooler
  2. Are your temps too high? Are you planning to overclock?
  3. What's your budget? Selection can be from noisy loud to silent.
Other considerations, If you can you see it thru case you may want RGB color.
There are also several bearing considerations, standard, roller, and magnetic.

D15S is 5mm shorter so not sure where your obstruction is.
https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15s/specification

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
  1. 1, Possible yes as an engineer anything is possible. ;)
  2. Is it a good idea? No, those are pretty much the best fans money can buy for that usage.
  3. The hole pattern will mount any 120mm fan but you need something with ether high static pressure or high airflow in order not to kill the effectiveness of the cooler.
NF-A12x25 $29 " Best"
Noctua NF-P12 redux $14 "
NF-F12 $20

These will perform close to the same as each other and a few degrees less than the OEM's.

Solution
Dec 5, 2019
Crush,
  1. Anything is possible, I've tie wrapped a fan to side of large/long cooler
  2. Are your temps too high? Are you planning to overclock?
  3. What's your budget? Selection can be from noisy loud to silent.
Other considerations, If you can you see it thru case you may want RGB color.
There are also several bearing considerations, standard, roller, and magnetic.

D15S is 5mm shorter so not sure where your obstruction is.
https://noctua.at/en/nh-d15s/specification
the reason i can't fit a full d15 in is because i'd have to move the front fan up a bit to accomadate for ram meaning it would'nt quite fit

delaro

Judicious
Ambassador
the reason i can't fit a full d15 in is because i'd have to move the front fan up a bit to accomadate for ram meaning it would'nt quite fit

Take the front fan out then test your temps, under most situations it won't change things all that much.

Example

i7-3970X@4.4Ghz/1.24-1.245V
Stock NH-D15 vs single NF-A15 in the middle.
2 x 1520rpm = 67C
2 x 1200rpm = 68C
2 x 1000rpm = 70C
2 x 800rpm = 73C
1 x 1480rpm = 70C (+3C)
1 x 1200rpm = 72C (+4C)

Not a big deal there.

Dec 5, 2019
Take the front fan out then test your temps, under most situations it won't change things all that much.

Example

i7-3970X@4.4Ghz/1.24-1.245V
Stock NH-D15 vs single NF-A15 in the middle.
2 x 1520rpm = 67C
2 x 1200rpm = 68C
2 x 1000rpm = 70C
2 x 800rpm = 73C
1 x 1480rpm = 70C (+3C)
1 x 1200rpm = 72C (+4C)

Not a big deal there.
i see so if i put in an extra fan it could help but the difference would be quite minor?