1220XL: Upgrading 566mhz Celeron?

Hi, I've a Presario 1200XL with a 566 mhz Celeron chip in a 370 socket.

I am interested in upgrading the CPU. From browsing the group it sounds like
the bios should recognise a P3, but before I get too carried away how fast can
I go with Pentium or Celeron CPUs in the existing 566mhz set-up before I risk
overheating? If going to 1 gig or beyond is not realy an option, do you think
it would it be worth replacing it with a P3 733MHz?

Obviously any pointers would be greatly appreciated....

hh

Unfortunately, it looks like your 12XL203 does not support a 100MHz
processor bus. Therefore any PIII is out, and a Celeron 733 could be your
top processor, and not that much faster than the existing 566.
In fact the fastest 12XL2XX US model just has a 600MHz Celeron.
HH

"BROUGHCUT" <broughcut@aol.comdrop> wrote in message
> Hi, I've a Presario 1200XL with a 566 mhz Celeron chip in a 370 socket.
>
> I am interested in upgrading the CPU. From browsing the group it sounds
> like
> the bios should recognise a P3, but before I get too carried away how fast
> can
> I go with Pentium or Celeron CPUs in the existing 566mhz set-up before I
> risk
> overheating? If going to 1 gig or beyond is not realy an option, do you
> think
> it would it be worth replacing it with a P3 733MHz?
>
> Obviously any pointers would be greatly appreciated....

Excuse typo in the subject. btw full model is 12XL203

>Unfortunately, it looks like your 12XL203 does not support a 100MHz
>processor bus. Therefore any PIII is out, and a Celeron 733 could be your
>top processor, and not that much faster than the existing 566.
>In fact the fastest 12XL2XX US model just has a 600MHz Celeron.
>HH

No doubt that Coolermaster Thermal Compound I just bought will be wasted on the
566. (I had a 1 gig P3 all sized up!) Lucky I asked. Thanks for the info.