[SOLVED] 12400 or 5600g

Prominent
Nov 28, 2021
Currently have 2 pc for family of 4, 2 outdated gaming / laptop and 1 potato pc1st gen i5m

Long story...
Getting a 4k tv Very soon , and i only rely on pc source input, meaning a PC needed.
Eventually the laptop is bought for TV for light games and movie but not now becoz gpu doesnt exist anymore...

So
Eventually the pc planning to buy will be for gaming with a real gpu
5600g now and game slower later OR
12400 now if it can handle 4k and game faster later?

In intel case should i cheap out for h610 over b660?

Never bothered to upgrade cpu inshort term

Solution

logainofhades

Titan
At 4k either CPU is likely going to game about the same, as 4k is more GPU dependent. If you are doing no gaming, prior to GPU purchase, go with the 12400. If you are wanting to attempt to do some light gaming, at a lower resolution, prior to GPU purchase, the 5600g would be the better choice.

Currently have 2 pc for family of 4, 2 outdated gaming / laptop and 1 potato pc1st gen i5m

Long story...
Getting a 4k tv Very soon , and i only rely on pc source input, meaning a PC needed.
Eventually the laptop is bought for TV for light games and movie but not now becoz gpu doesnt exist anymore...

So

The 12400 is the better gaming CPU, but you could be waiting a while for a GPU. So in the short term you are better served by the 5600G. The 5700G is also worth considering, that's not that much more expensive where I live.
I wouldn't cheap out on the motherboard to be honest, I've been burnt with this before. I would get a good quality B660 to go with it. An MSI B660M Mortar would be my choice but they are not cheap sadly. What sort of games would you like to play in the future?

Long story...

So

if you can sit tight for a bit the 12500 is in the pipe.
You'll get a bump in cpu and igp power.
I doubt the igp will be much of a gamer but better than the 12400 igp.