Question 12600k high temps under load

Dec 1, 2022
My cpu temps went to 100ºC in 5 minutes when running cinebenc, temps newer got ower 100ºC and it held clocks 4.9 GHz p-core 3.6 GHz e-core the whole time. The cooler i have is arctic freezer 34 esports duo, and i m using thermal grizzly kryonaut thermalpaste. At idle temps are 35ºC.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Overclocked: Increased the power use by up to ~67% for a 0 - 9% bump in core clock. The max core frequency already scales between 4.9 - 4.5ghz based on how many cores are active at any time; the fewer that are active, the higher it is.

The aftereffects of the OC is expected. Poor Freezer 34 eSports Duo...

Dec 1, 2022
Overclocked: Increased the power use by up to ~67% for a 0 - 9% bump in core clock. The max core frequency already scales between 4.9 - 4.5ghz based on how many cores are active at any time; the fewer that are active, the higher it is.

The aftereffects of the OC is expected. Poor Freezer 34 eSports Duo...
Its not overclocked those are the advertised boost clocks for 12600k.

Dec 1, 2022
It's is overclocked, and it's been done so to the cpu's max single core frequency. All core P-cores is normally 4.5ghz.
"running cinebench... it held clocks 4.9 GHz p-core... the whole time..."

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkHMh8sUSuM

See 3:12 - 4:33.
I have kept the stock bios settings apart from enabling xmp and i havent touched xtu. And on intel site it says performance-core max turbo frequency to be 4.9GHz and efficient-core max turbo frequency to be 3.6GHz

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I have kept the stock bios settings apart from enabling xmp and i havent touched xtu. And on intel site it says performance-core max turbo frequency to be 4.9GHz and efficient-core max turbo frequency to be 3.6GHz
'Stock' is pretty meaningless when it varies between motherboards. Not all of them run the Intel spec; their 'stock' already applies an overclock.
Some software apps, like Msi Center, can apply an OC too.

Didn't click the little '?' next to Max Turbo Frequency?
"Max Turbo Frequency is the maximum single-core frequency at which the processor is capable of operating using Intel® Turbo Boost Technology and, if present, Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 and Intel® Thermal Velocity Boost."
If all P-cores are observed running 4.9ghz in Cinebench, then they are OCed.

Reactions: uWebb429