Question 12600kf high temp during stress testing

Still waiting for my case to arrive but went ahead and set up my pc on the box basically to test out. Got it running and it all is working smoothly. However during stress tests such Intel burn test or cinebench r23 multithread, it goes up to about 100.

System currently

I5 12600kf
32gb ddr4 ram 3200mhz
MSI z690a pro WiFi ddr4( I’ll link the board before in case I’m mistaken)
Thermalright peerless assassin 120 se white rgb, basically dual fan dual tower air cooler)
Powercolor red devil 6700xt 12gb
Corsair rmx 850

Case I’m waiting on is a fractal design Focus G blue.

This is the motherboard. Flashed to the latest bios. Set to optimized defaults to be safe

Don’t think it’s the mounting. Idle temps are in the 30s and 40s. When it ramps up the fans go to 1500-1600+ rpms. Also when the load is taken off it almost immediately goes back into the 50s and 60s and then lower.

I’m probably missing something. Been building amd boxes since the early 2000s, not as much experience on Intel. I know the newer CPUs essentially try to overclock themselves. Anyway to turn that back 1 notch?

In case it matters, Arctic mx4 was the paste used. Regarding mounting I did use the backplate and bag labeled LGA 1700. I tried also to tighten screws up evenly a little at a time. Used the spread method when applying paste which is what I’ve done for years.

Last edited:
Correct. I’ve actually been tinkering a bit since and did a bit of an undervolt using an offset of .075 which appears stable using Intel burn test and cinebench. I also set the systems temp protection to 95 instead of 100 since from what I was reading according to Intel 100-105 is the max.

I also disabled enhanced turbo side from what I was reading that’s essentially the board attempting to overclock.

The other thing I did was go under cpu advanced and changed cpu lite load from auto to mode 6. At stock it had it on mode 9. I guess on the auto setting it sets higher voltage.

With these settings it acts stable but cinebench will peg it at 95 which was what I set the limit to in the bios. I realize most of the time it will never have that heavy of a load on it during just gaming. Intel burn test I think topped out around 94.

Cinebench score on multithread is 16577.

Lot of information. As you can see I’ve been trying to watch videos and tinkering. Do these settings sound safe? Any other tweaks I should be making? After it did the cinebench run it is using around 31.

Edit: To answer your question originally that was at the stock settings for the motherboard.

Perhaps the board is trying to push the CPUs too aggressively?

One other thing I thought of I’m certain I didn’t forget it but since it’s still got to go in the new case I may unmount the cooler and just check to be sure I didn’t forget to remove the adhesive on the cooler.

piechockidocent9

Distinguished
Based on everything you've said, at this point being in your shoes I'd question either the cpu being just a very hot specimen, which does happen sadly especially with intel ones, or some flaw with the cooler.
Are you 100% sure you have laid the paste right? I'm not trying to undermine your experience but from my own I do know even simplest things can go wrong because for instance my girlfriend called right when I was cutting honeywell7950 pad to precise sise atm.

LOL. Got annoyed and dismounted it. I’m actually a tech and had a pc repair business a while back and I did a totally rookie mistake. Removed the cooler and had forgotten to remove the plastic. Haha. Oh well. Pulled the plastic off I’ll repaste and report back after a while. I’ve been doing this for years and don’t think I’ve done that before lol.

Reactions: piechockidocent9
That’s better. Now the highest temp I’m seeing in cinebench is 63 with all stock settings. Similar in Intel burn test. So that mystery is solved. Now I’m getting a message on every boot about a USB device not being recognized. Not sure why that is. Only a mouse keyboard and controller are attached. I did have a couple of bent pins on the fan splitter for the cooler, but I was able to straighten them a little and the fan still spins and rgb works. Any ideas?

Well figured that out. It was the splitter. Oh well I’ve got plenty of fan headers on here I guess. But may have found a 3 pack of the connectors for 8 bucks on Amazon. May just pick up those and have extra.

Last edited: