Question 12700k 35-42*c idle and 100c @ 20% load

PrestigeYT

Honorable
Mar 16, 2017
Hello,

I just built a PC and my idle temps seem a little high, and my in-game temps seem very high.

I maxed out Squad @ 1440p running 3 screens, only 1 for the game with nothing else open.

I have a Lian-Li 216 with Gallhan 360 AIO on a 12700k and Z690P D4. GPU is running fine (of course). All fans spinning. Exhaust output on my AIO is not exactly strong, not nearly as much as the rear exhaust, but it feels cool to the hand like the rear, just not as much air.

A quick google search led me to 100c being too much for the 12700k. Is this true? Did I install it wrong? Help!

Is this too hot for this CPU, and did I install it wrong?

Thanks

PrestigeYT

Honorable
Mar 16, 2017
With a cpu at anything close to 100°C, the exhaust from that aio should not be 'cool' but noticeably warmer than the rear exhaust.

When you installed the pump, was there plastic film on the bottom to protect the paste?

Yes, I'm fairly positive I removed it.

I remember removing the GPU films as well, so I am sure I did. If nothing else fixes this Ill rip it off. Got not paste left...

Heres some more info for you.

30-45c idle with chrome, and 100c constant on Squad

I maxed out Squad @ 1440p running 3 screens, only 1 for the game with nothing else open.

I have a Lian-Li 216 with Gallhan 360 AIO on a 12700k and Z690P D4. GPU is running fine (of course). All fans spinning. The exhaust output on my AIO is not exactly strong, not nearly as much as the rear exhaust, but it feels cool to the hand like the rear, just not as much air. On the Galahad 360, the left-hand power cord is plugged into AIO_HEADER, and the right-hand cord is plugged into CPU_FAN

XMP Disabled, CPU FAN 1100-1250RPM, CHA1-3 N/A, CPU OPT N/A, AIO PUMP 3206 RPM. Temps on bootup and opening google chrome, discord, and whatever else reached 80c for half, if not less than, a second. Now it is bouncing from 34c-48c. Something definitely wrong, but what? All fans are spinning...

BIOS says 49c. Opening the EA app I saw 80c. Downloading Fifa 23 it is at 70-74c. AIO PUMP Curve is set to 100% 24/7. Set CPU FAN to max, temps didn't drop after 20-30 seconds.

I installed SeriallO drives from ASUS page, did not touch bios from ASUS page.

I put one pea-sized drop of thermal paste on the CPU and then put the copper plate on.

Also, it's cold in the room, not that that could make a HUGE difference, but noteworthy. I'd feel hot air right now, no doubt.

Loading squad, I get a max temp of 89c before loading through the main menu, from CPUID HWMonitor. P Cores maxed out at 96c, E cores at 78c.

Im at a loss

Last edited: