[SOLVED] 12700k upgrade from 6600k

crisperson

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2013
Hello,

I'm looking to upgrade a few parts of my PC (CPU, mobo, and a new cooler), here is the template from the sticky filled in.

Approximate Purchase Date: as soon as possible (I have parts selected in a Newegg cart today that look to be in stock, but if other options are suggested I'd still prefer to buy the parts in the near future; e.g. DDR5 ram seems very difficult to find so I'm not tied to waiting for that necessarily)

Budget Range: 1200 or so but it's not super strict

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, programming

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: CPU, Mobo, Cooler (partpicker list below includes the parts that already exist)

Do you need to buy OS: No

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Fine with anything in Canada really

Parts Preferences: Would prefer this latest gen of Intel generally

Overclocking: Yes / Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 2k

Additional Comments:

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: I'm finding it harder to play recent games without stuttering. At a glance I think it's because I'm being CPU throttled so figure I'd start with upgrading that and do a GPU upgrade later if/when prices get a bit less crazy, or my GPU becomes the bottleneck.

My pcpartpicker link:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/G3ybF8

It includes the three changes I mentioned above: the CPU, mobo, and a new cooler. The rest of the list there is what I currently have.

I've been trying to do my own reading to figure out what makes the most sense but would appreciate any feedback around what doesn't make sense or seems silly. For example, mentioned above the DDR5 thing; does it make make sense to wait until that is available if I'm looking at the 12th gen Intel CPUs? I've also read a bunch about case fit, does anyone see any concerns with that?

Thanks in advance gang!

Reactions: Why_Me
Solution
2k monitor on 980ti huh, mine 1070ti barely plays 1080p these days, 1440p on 2+ year games :(
any recent games are in dx12, and 900/1000 series arent really good at that, dx11 is okay

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I think it will be a good upgrade that will really feel from the chair. Your limiting factors afterward will be things like NVME, to a lesser degree RAM speed, and there will be no doubt that in the gaming arena the GPU will show it's age.
I feel like it's a good "frog leap" upgrade that should allow enough performance to try and wait out the situation with graphics cards. In the meantime you can focus on the other shortcomings as you desire.

crisperson

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2013
I think it will be a good upgrade that will really feel from the chair. Your limiting factors afterward will be things like NVME, to a lesser degree RAM speed, and there will be no doubt that in the gaming arena the GPU will show it's age.
I feel like it's a good "frog leap" upgrade that should allow enough performance to try and wait out the situation with graphics cards. In the meantime you can focus on the other shortcomings as you desire.
Right on thanks for the response! Makes sense makes sense