128bit vr 256bit

CV

im looking at the 9800pro and a number of websites have the sapphire
128bit version of the card on sale now for around $170. how much of a
performance difference is there compared the 256bit card.
TIA

augustus

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2003

"cv" <cvbe27@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> im looking at the 9800pro and a number of websites have the sapphire
> 128bit version of the card on sale now for around $170. how much of a
> performance difference is there compared the 256bit card.
> TIA

Lots. Think about how much difference there is between a 9600SE and a 9600.
The only difference between the two is 64bit vs 128bit memory. I'd go with a
9600XT before a 128bit 9800 Pro.

Are you referring to the amount of memory or the memory interface? The
9800Pro with 128mb of memory is a steal compared to the 9800XT with 256mb of
memory. Certainly not worth the extra $ for the marginal performance gain.
IMO.

"cv" <cvbe27@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> im looking at the 9800pro and a number of websites have the sapphire
> 128bit version of the card on sale now for around $170. how much of a
> performance difference is there compared the 256bit card.
> TIA

sleepy

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2001

surely any 9800 PRO is going to be 256bit - the only choice will be between
128mb and 256mb.

"cv" <cvbe27@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> im looking at the 9800pro and a number of websites have the sapphire
> 128bit version of the card on sale now for around $170. how much of a
> performance difference is there compared the 256bit card.
> TIA

No, he is referrin to the memory interface. Be sure to get a 256 MBit card
the 128 MBit is much much slower.

Sleepy wrote:
> surely any 9800 PRO is going to be 256bit - the only choice will be
> between 128mb and 256mb.
>
> "cv" <cvbe27@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> im looking at the 9800pro and a number of websites have the sapphire
>> 128bit version of the card on sale now for around $170. how much of a
>> performance difference is there compared the 256bit card.
>> TIA

Sleepy, Circuit City has two brands of the '9800', ATi and Vision Tek.
Reading the box carefully, ol Grandpa sees a number of reason these
'offbrand' parts are so much less costly. Same theme, just a confusing
array of variations on that theme. Different brand of ram, slower ram,
128 Bit Interface. ATi brand 9800 Pro, 128 megs ram, 256 bit interface,
faster memory and core clocks. Perhaps not fully twice the performance,
but certainly a full third more performance.

I just checked the CC site again, the online store doesn't list the
VisionTek 9800, only 9600's.
Damn folks are always rearranging the furniture ;)

McG.

"Sleepy" <nospam.plz.bespley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> surely any 9800 PRO is going to be 256bit - the only choice will be
between
> 128mb and 256mb.

Wrong!! There are new 9800pro card with HALF the memory bandwidth!

9800pro 128Mb DDR 128bit RAM (a bit cheaper, slower than 9600xt, easy to
find now)
vs
9800pro 128Mb DDR 256bit RAM (FASTER than 9600XT, bit hard to find, costly
compaired to other one)

shaun

"Frank Schmidt" <schmidt@bth.de> wrote in message
> No, he is referrin to the memory interface. Be sure to get a 256 MBit card
> the 128 MBit is much much slower.

bit... 256 bit.

Shaun wrote:
> "Frank Schmidt" <schmidt@bth.de> wrote in message
>> No, he is referrin to the memory interface. Be sure to get a 256
>> MBit card the 128 MBit is much much slower.
>>

> bit... 256 bit.

:eek:) I could just see it now! 256 Mbytes on a 256 MBit interface.... 1
byte deep x 256 mbytes wide. :eek:) !!! Now that's bandwidth!
McG.

Asestar <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote:

> "Sleepy" <nospam.plz.bespley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > surely any 9800 PRO is going to be 256bit - the only choice will be
> between
> > 128mb and 256mb.

> Wrong!! There are new 9800pro card with HALF the memory bandwidth!

> 9800pro 128Mb DDR 128bit RAM (a bit cheaper, slower than 9600xt, easy to
> find now)
> vs
> 9800pro 128Mb DDR 256bit RAM (FASTER than 9600XT, bit hard to find, costly
> compaired to other one)

How can I check which RAM speed I have? I got mine last late summer. I
have the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW card with 128 MB of RAM. I do not see
the information in ATI driver details.
--
"If I want to be a robber, I rob the king's treasury. If I want to be
a hunter, I hunt the rhino. What is the use of robbing beggars and
| |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
\ _ / Be sure you removed ANT from e-mail address if you get
( ) a returned e-mail.

ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
> Asestar <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote:

> > "Sleepy" <nospam.plz.bespley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > surely any 9800 PRO is going to be 256bit - the only choice will be
> > between
> > > 128mb and 256mb.

> > Wrong!! There are new 9800pro card with HALF the memory bandwidth!

> > 9800pro 128Mb DDR 128bit RAM (a bit cheaper, slower than 9600xt, easy to
> > find now)
> > vs
> > 9800pro 128Mb DDR 256bit RAM (FASTER than 9600XT, bit hard to find, costly
> > compaired to other one)

> How can I check which RAM speed I have? I got mine last late summer. I
> have the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW card with 128 MB of RAM. I do not see
> the information in ATI driver details.

One more detail from the box: Double data rate SDRAM. Whatever that
means.
--

On Mon, 31 May 2004 20:32:00 -0500, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

>> How can I check which RAM speed I have? I got mine last late summer. I
>> have the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW card with 128 MB of RAM. I do not see
>> the information in ATI driver details.

You have to look at the ram chips themselves and look for a number
like this: -1.8

>One more detail from the box: Double data rate SDRAM. Whatever that
>means.

Just means it is DDR. Look up DDR on google if you want all the ins
and outs.

Gman

In article <zKWdnd9ltpr5RybdRVn-gg@mminternet.net>, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:
>Asestar <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t . n o> wrote:
>
>> "Sleepy" <nospam.plz.bespley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > surely any 9800 PRO is going to be 256bit - the only choice will be
>> between
>> > 128mb and 256mb.
>
>> Wrong!! There are new 9800pro card with HALF the memory bandwidth!
>
>> 9800pro 128Mb DDR 128bit RAM (a bit cheaper, slower than 9600xt, easy to
>> find now)
>> vs
>> 9800pro 128Mb DDR 256bit RAM (FASTER than 9600XT, bit hard to find, costly
>> compaired to other one)
>

>How can I check which RAM speed I have? I got mine last late summer. I
>have the ATI Radeon 9800 Pro AIW card with 128 MB of RAM. I do not see
>the information in ATI driver details.

PC Wizard 2004 will tell you and its FREE

http://www.cpuid.com/pcw.php

On Mon, 31 May 2004 14:32:18 GMT, "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t
.. n o> wrote:

>"Sleepy" <nospam.plz.bespley@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> surely any 9800 PRO is going to be 256bit - the only choice will be
>between
>> 128mb and 256mb.

>Wrong!! There are new 9800pro card with HALF the memory bandwidth!

>9800pro 128Mb DDR 128bit RAM (a bit cheaper, slower than 9600xt, easy to
>find now)
>vs
>9800pro 128Mb DDR 256bit RAM (FASTER than 9600XT, bit hard to find, costly
>compaired to other one)

Try - Filename: ATI-UTIL-Jan-2004.exe from :
http://mirror.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/atiadapterutil.html

BoroLad

Or Aida32. Now it's called Everest Home edition.

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 17:00:42 GMT, "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t
.. n o> wrote:

>Or Aida32. Now it's called Everest Home edition.

I just ran Aida32. Where does it tell you the speed of the ram on the
vid card?

.. n o> wrote:

>Or Aida32. Now it's called Everest Home edition.

Yep !, got the pro version Nov 2003 but now that it's changed hands
I'm not gonna re-buy just because it's called Everest Pro.

Regards, BoroLad

In article <q8tkb01brf3m3o0q8i0sq5i43lprsok3be@4ax.com>, cvbe27
@yahoo.com says...
> im looking at the 9800pro and a number of websites have the sapphire
> 128bit version of the card on sale now for around $170. how much of a
> performance difference is there compared the 256bit card.
> TIA

Shedloads.

--
Conor

I started with nothing and I still have most of it left.

> >> surely any 9800 PRO is going to be 256bit - the only choice will be
> >between
> >> 128mb and 256mb.

> >Wrong!! There are new 9800pro card with HALF the memory bandwidth!

> >9800pro 128Mb DDR 128bit RAM (a bit cheaper, slower than 9600xt, easy to
> >find now)
> >vs
> >9800pro 128Mb DDR 256bit RAM (FASTER than 9600XT, bit hard to find, costly
> >compaired to other one)

> Try - Filename: ATI-UTIL-Jan-2004.exe from :
> http://mirror.ati.com/support/drivers/misc/atiadapterutil.html

Where is it in the program? I don't see the information.
--

Diskhead <disk@head.invalid> wrote:
> On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 17:00:42 GMT, "Asestar" <a s e s t a r @ s t a r t
> . n o> wrote:

> >Or Aida32. Now it's called Everest Home edition.

> I just ran Aida32. Where does it tell you the speed of the ram on the
> vid card?

I think I found it in my AIDA32 v3.93:

Under Display -> GPU:
Graphics Processor Properties
Video Adapter ATI Radeon 9800 Pro (R350)
GPU Code Name R350
PCI Device 1002 / 4E48
Transistors 117 million
Process Technology 0.15u
Bus Type AGP
Memory Size 128 MB
GPU Clock 378 MHz
RAMDAC Clock 400 MHz
Pixel Pipelines 8
TMU Per Pipeline 1
Vertex Shaders 4 (v2.0)
Pixel Shaders 1 (v2.0)
DirectX Hardware Support DirectX v9.0
Pixel Fillrate 3024 MPixel/s
Texel Fillrate 3024 MTexel/s

Memory Bus Properties
Bus Type DDR
Bus Width 256-bit <-------------- IS THIS IT?
Real Clock 338 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 676 MHz
Bandwidth 21632 MB/s

Graphics Processor Manufacturer
Company Name ATI Technologies Inc.
Product Information http://www.ati.com/products/home-office.html
Driver Download http://www.ati.com/support/driver.html

--

ANTant@zimage.com wrote in message news:<TI2dnSrGnqPl0CDdRVn-sA@mminternet.net>...

> Memory Bus Properties
> Bus Type DDR
> Bus Width 256-bit <-------------- IS THIS IT?
> Real Clock 338 MHz (DDR)
> Effective Clock 676 MHz
> Bandwidth 21632 MB/s

That is the one!

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 22:46:00 -0500, ANTant@zimage.com wrote:

>Bus Width 256-bit <-------------- IS THIS IT?

Nope. Ram speed is measured in nanseconds and like I said before you
have to look at the physical ram itself to get that info.

On 2 Jun 2004 10:14:58 -0700, superxml@yahoo.com (Dark Avenger) wrote:

>That is the one!

No it's not. :)

Dark Avenger <superxml@yahoo.com> wrote:
> ANTant@zimage.com wrote in message news:<TI2dnSrGnqPl0CDdRVn-sA@mminternet.net>...

> > Memory Bus Properties
> > Bus Type DDR
> > Bus Width 256-bit <-------------- IS THIS IT?
> > Real Clock 338 MHz (DDR)
> > Effective Clock 676 MHz
> > Bandwidth 21632 MB/s
> >

> That is the one!

Cool, then my video card is fast for now. ;)
--
"If I want to be a robber, I rob the king's treasury. If I want to be
a hunter, I hunt the rhino. What is the use of robbing beggars and
hunting ants? So if you want to love, love God." --Swami Vivekananda
/\___/\
/ /\ /\ \ Phillip Pi (Ant) @ The Ant Farm: http://antfarm.ma.cx
| |o o| | E-mail: philpi@earthlink.netANT or ANTant@zimage.com
\ _ / Be sure you removed ANT from e-mail address if you get
( ) a returned e-mail.

I just dl'd and installed aida32 3.93 also, I get exactly the same info
you do, even to the PCI device ID :)

Yeah, it tells you what the memory is clocked at, the core, and the bus
type and bus width.
Memory clock is an actual 338 mHz which is effectively 676 mHz with DDR.
The bus is 256 bits wide :) I do note it says the die is .15u, and I'd
thought that the newer F revision boards were using .13u die, because
everything seemed....smaller....than a year ago! :)
McG.