128GB Bluray Burners Coming Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

oxxfatelostxxo

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
yea, the only thing i use discs for anymore are music really, and im pretty sure i dont need a blu ray filled with music for my car.

i dont really see what good blue ray discs are, i dont see them as a safe way to store data really, and the amount they hold really only seems suited for that for the regular user.

So unless your downloading massive amounts of bluray size movies, which dont usually come out as nice as a real blu ray anyway... seems pointless to me

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
I used to use BD-R for home HD video. But now that I got several TB Synology storage server, I'm not upgrading to the next gen BD burner this time, if ever. Can't they come up with HD platter type of disks??? Let all the HDD internals be in the drive, and the platter itself in a super thin enclosure. Does it exists?

I guess It's good for 4K HD movies. Prepare to buy all movie/series collections all over again :pt1cable:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/4K_resolution

G

dimar,

SyQuest did that many years ago, and then Iomega did it again more recently.

dEAne

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2009
I don't think the capacity is the only thing we need to deal here what about the reliability and for how long it can keep the data written on it.

PLATTERMAN

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
Too many chances for write errors as it is because of disc write/read structure, 3 layer discs will only add to the problem. HDD storage for me.

luke904

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2009
the only purpose i can see in this is having even higher resolution in movies. and maybe for a more efficient means of distributing software (mainly games) but by the time people have actually invested in it.. software distribution will be done online.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Would consider if IF the media prices get down, sadly todays media is way to expencive to purchase (and likely on purpose, Sony don't want their music burned!)

[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Hmm I would still have to use a pile of them just to backup one of my cluttered drives mush less all six excluding my other machines.[/citation]
I just bought an antistatic-foam lined case for my ten removable drives - mostly backups.

On the other hand, I've got a carpenter scheduled to put in a cable run to my attic so I can use my eight-drive 2U Raid array for backups. It connects to my PC via Ultra320 SCSI, so I'll have a little more bandwidth than using NAS. I need it in the attic due to the three hot-plug industrial strength fans.

I'm starting to get the feeling that there is such a thing as too much storage. At least, too much storage at a given bandwidth for transfer and backup. 128 GB on one piece of media is fine, but how long will it take to write it full? 4x is 18 MB/s (source: Wikipedia). 128 GB will take... Two hours. Disk-to-disk transfer with a current disk at about 120 MB/s... 18 minutes. I may just stick with removable disks when I have to back up large amounts of data.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
This is great news. This will bring the cost of regular Blu Ray drives down and hopefully SL/DL BD-R media as well. As for long term storage, by an external HDD, backup to it, then place it in a dark cool place and forget about it until something fails.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Im an advanced computer builder and tech, and I dont know anyone that uses a Blu Ray burner or ever bought the media. Last I checked a single blank BDR was $10 or so. Im happy with my Blu Ray reader and may not ever buy a BD burner just because I think its cheaper to get a terabyte hd for the money for backup, I have 3 hard drives currently.[/citation]
Check again. You can easily get 500GB of storage from Verbatim for about $30 now, which comes out to about $1.50 per disc. Single layer discs from other brands can of course be found for much cheaper. The price per gig of a single layer Blu-ray is now below dual-layer DVDs (lol... not a huge accomplishment) and is approaching the pricing of single layer DVDs.

For Verbatim, Blu-rays are ~$.06 per gig and DVDs are ~$.04 per gig, which is actually cheaper then many 7200 RPM TB HDDs. Although, if you aren't doing long term archiving and need files to be immediately accessible, I would still go with a high capacity HDD simply for convenience and speed.

$10 per disc?! When was the last time you checked? Wasn't that about the pricing back in 2006-2007?

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]mrit[/nom]Anyone know how much media will be?[/citation]
Given the current pricing of dual-layer BD-Rs, probably unreasonably expensive... unfortunately.

G

RAID should never be used for data backup. I can't tell you how many arrays I have seen lost due to multiple drive failures or firmware issues -it's been alot.

I think the future is with online backups.

Ultimately you should always keep a couple backups in different mediums.

spectrewind

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Im an advanced computer builder and tech, and I dont know anyone that uses a Blu Ray burner or ever bought the media. Last I checked a single blank BDR was $10 or so. Im happy with my Blu Ray reader and may not ever buy a BD burner just because I think its cheaper to get a terabyte hd for the money for backup, I have 3 hard drives currently.[/citation]

The Verbatim LTH media[citation][nom]dragonsqrrl[/nom]Check again. You can easily get 500GB of storage from Verbatim for about $30 now, which comes out to about $1.50 per disc. Single layer discs from other brands can of course be found for much cheaper. The price per gig of a single layer Blu-ray is now below dual-layer DVDs (lol... not a huge accomplishment) and is approaching the pricing of single layer DVDs. For Verbatim, Blu-rays are ~$.06 per gig and DVDs are ~$.04 per gig, which is actually cheaper then many 7200 RPM TB HDDs. Although, if you aren't doing long term archiving and need files to be immediately accessible, I would still go with a high capacity HDD simply for convenience and speed.$10 per disc?! When was the last time you checked? Wasn't that about the pricing back in 2006-2007?[/citation]

For the LTH media? You might want to mention that not all HTL capable devices are firmware-upgrade compatible with LTH.

Otherwise, a very goo point...

[citation][nom]campbrs[/nom]RAID should never be used for data backup. I can't tell you how many arrays I have seen lost due to multiple drive failures or firmware issues -it's been alot.I think the future is with online backups.Ultimately you should always keep a couple backups in different mediums.[/citation]
Reasonable point on Raid, and I do keep bare-drive backups. The Raid is for live mirroring outside-the-box.

I don't have enough faith in security to keep my data online. Sure, someone could break into my home and steal my drives. But putting the data online just begs some hacker in (country X) to get into it, or at least destroy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.