Question 128GB DDR5 Memory Options?

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
I'm wondering if anyone offers 128GBs of DDR5 memory, in 4 sticks of 32GB? I bought 2 sets of 32GBx2 and my system seems unstable running two different sets of the same ram. It won't even boot when XMP is turned on, but will boot when turn off. I get freezing on the system at times, and broken video clips while editing. I'd like to get 4 sticks in one package to avoid compatability issues.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
what are the system specs?

most mobos can not run ram as fast with 4 sticks used. it may handle 6000 speed with 2 sticks but at 4 sticks it will drop to 5000 or less.

you need to look at the manual to see what it can and can't handle. 32 gb sticks will be dual rank so look at what it says it can do for 4 sticks of that. most likely the ram is running fine but you are hitting these limits from the mobo itself.

braxus

Honorable
Jan 1, 2018
It's a Gigabyte x670 board. I'd have to double check which one. It's in my signature here. The ram is rated to 5200 though. I down clocked it to 4400, but it doesn't help 100 percent there.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
wow they hid this info big time. it's not n the manual like it normally is. have to check out the memory support list on the website

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/X670-AORUS-ELITE-AX-rev-10/support#support-memsup

at the bottom of the page it says

"* Speed dropping policy according to AMD processor specification (EXPO/XMP disabled):- Drops down to DDR5-3600 when 2 DIMMs of the same channel are installed e.g., DDR5_A1 / _A2. Please adjust your setup according to the recommendation as above.- Drops down to DDR5-3600 when 4 DIMMs are installed. "

emphasis mine. sounds like even 4400 might be too much for it. i'd step it down one step at a time and then test it to see where it is happiest. this is not uncommon at all for using 4 sticks and one of the reasons we suggest 1 pair of ram instead of 2 where possible. obviously not possible if you want 128gb in total.