Question 128GB PCIe SSDs -- are they soldered?

I'm trying to ascertain the type of storage in several laptops/netbooks. I expect that eMMC SSDs are soldered to the mainboard, but what about 128GB PCIe SSDs? The specs will sometimes tell you whether RAM is soldered, but not storage devices.

Is it safe to assume that 128GB SSDs are soldered?

kanewolf

Titan
I'm trying to ascertain the type of storage in several laptops/netbooks. I expect that eMMC SSDs are soldered to the mainboard, but what about 128GB PCIe SSDs? The specs will sometimes tell you whether RAM is soldered, but not storage devices.

Is it safe to assume that 128GB SSDs are soldered?
Netbooks? Maybe. Laptops, unless they are trying for ultrathin, probably not. The cost for a conventional socketed M.2 drive is probably cheaper.

USAFRet

Titan
All it says is that "the storage capacity might be different in different models". It doesn't confirm whether any of the models is upgradeable. How does a potential buyer know what to expect?
I wager that most people buying a device like this aren't going to upgrade the drive size.

But a buyer should look deeper into the specs for a particular system, to see if the storage is or is not changeable.

Of my 3 devices with eMMC, all are soldered.
Asus 32GB, Asus 64GB, Lenovo 64GB.

I knew this when I bought them.
Why did I buy laptops with small storage like that? Because they were $150-$200, and only used as small travel devices.

I bought an inexpensive Acer Spin 1 with 64GB eMMC (soldered). I didn't care at the time, and I got 4 years of continuous use out of it until it failed yesterday ("no boot device"). I didn't use it for anything other than Internet access. It seems that laptops/netbooks with m.2 SSDs are at least twice the price, so I don't understand why there is no middle range.

Edit:

Why can't manufacturers supply this sort of info?

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06642370.pdf
https://support.hp.com/au-en/produc...es/33690517/model/38665323/document/c06986859

It's a little bit more expensive, but it's upgradeable.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS