128GB SSD + 1TB HDD or 128GB SSD + 1TB SSD?

Jan 6, 2019
So basically I'm on the fence here with whether to make my laptop a dual SSD laptop or just keep it as is with the 1TB HDD and 128GB SSD that comes pre-installed on it? My SSD is currently 40.2GB/118GB free. Either ways, both SSDs are 2.5" SATA.

I'd honestly want an honest opinion of whether i'll truly benefit that much from the dual SSD configuration or is SSD + HDD sufficient enough?

I use the laptop mainly to code + front-end development, sometimes render models/graphics, and game.

Solution

There isn't that much improvement in performance when opening files, which takes a couple of seconds.
That's why I suggested to keep the 1 TB HDD and get a larger SSD.
If you keep the 128GB as it gets full it will drop in performance.
The larger SSD for the OS and programs where the performance difference will be noticed.
But if funds are not part of the equation, then go for the dual SSD setup....but I wouldn't keep the 128GB SSD as the main disk.

Jan 6, 2019

Any reason as to why you're suggesting I just keep the HDD instead of making it a dual SSD configuration? I'm asking as I'm curious to your reasoning. But yes 128GB is not much for me here. Like for now it suffices, but I assume in the next 2-4 years I'd need a bigger storage than that. Considering I'd need more programs on the laptop. As well I know you should atleast keep 30GB - 40GB of your SSD free just incase a sector goes bad and such. So basically this SSD is maxed out if I want to play it safe here.

There isn't that much improvement in performance when opening files, which takes a couple of seconds.
That's why I suggested to keep the 1 TB HDD and get a larger SSD.
If you keep the 128GB as it gets full it will drop in performance.
The larger SSD for the OS and programs where the performance difference will be noticed.
But if funds are not part of the equation, then go for the dual SSD setup....but I wouldn't keep the 128GB SSD as the main disk.

Solution