128gb SSD only shows 60gb?

g0chu

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Hi all! I recently purchased an ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 LGA 1155 Z68 ATX Intel Motherboard and an OCZ Synapse Cache SYN-25SAT3-128G 128GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) with SandForce 2281 Controller.

The problem is, when I tried to install Windows 7 64bit, it only showed 60gb of free space.

My question is, do I have to mess with something in the BIOS to get access to the full 128gb? Or is it more plausible that the manufacturer messed up the packaging?

Thank you in advance!

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Look at the label on the SSD and make sure it matches what you thought you bought. Also, look in Disk Management to make sure you don't have a 60GB partition and some free space (un-partitioned). If so, you may be able to expand your 60GB partition to the full space.

skaz

Distinguished
It's normal. That drive is geared to be used as partially a cache drive thus the name. Here is from the FAQ.

"Why is only half the Synapse capacity accessible?

The 50% NAND overprovisioning used on all Synapse models (translating into 32GB and 64GB cache capacities) is maintained as a performance feature to increase the lifespan of the drive, and accommodate the writing of "hot" user data. Since the Synapse acts as a cache for file/program copies vs. typical data storage, the "free" capacity will be sufficient to deliver the full benefits of Synapse for any personal usage pattern. "

g0chu

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Thanks for the replies.

@COLGeek: I double checked everything and it is the right SSD.

@skaz: Thanks for the information it was helpful, but I guess I should have clarified my question. How can I make it so that I'm getting the rest of the space available?

skaz

Distinguished

Not sure if there is a way. the synapse line seems to be mostly geared to be a cache drive vs a storage drive. You could install the OS and see if the software included will let you manage the size of the cache and possibly shrink it or even get rid of it.

skaz

Distinguished
Shoot a thread onto the OCZ boards and see if anyone can help you figure out how to use the rest of the drive's storage. Worth a shot at least before you have to try and return it.

Also, if you haven't tried this already. Did you go through with the install yet? Go through with the install and see if the other half opens up to you after the installation. And install the software for the drive and maybe it has a utility to shrink the cache.

Good luck

RealGoneKid

Distinguished
May 16, 2011

Once you install the Software the drive disappears completely. It can be used as a 60GB SSD without the software, tho but the other half is purely used when its attached to a Hard Drive in cache mode. The Dataplex software has very little options, just install verify installation and uninstall. TYhe Dataplex software also doesn't like lots of internal drives (I Had 6 and it wouldn't play nice), Also if you buy a few of same drives they can have same drive id number this can also cause issues disconnecting all except C: then install Synapse then attach other drives afterwards can help here. Al;so if u have a bad boot it will give a boot fail on startup, incorrect shutdown and u get same message, if you do any part of this wrong u can not only loose data, but you can cause windows to never boot again and even render the hard drive useless unless you get special repair tools from OCZ's Dataplex team. If you get the Dataplex message please read carefully before making any fast click decisions. Do not take the drive out if it has not been uninstalled this will also prove fatal.

I use the drive now but lost a 2TB drive and wouldn't like others to share my fate. I think they even stopped selling these.

In fairness their staff were amazing and tried their best but my data was gone forever.