12GB RAM Installed, 7.98GB Usable

LewisInce

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017
Recently I purchased a new DDR3 RAM strip with 4GB Memory, to add to my 2x4GB RAM strips. It has installed successfully, as I can see all 12GB in BIOS Settings, but whenever I open the Control Panel, I see "12GB Installed (7.98GB Usable)".

I have NO idea why this could be. The RAM is successfully installed, so the RAM isn't faulty, the only thing that could be a problem is if I may need to purchase two, as the motherboard is dual channel compatible with 4 slots.

CPU - AMD FX 6300 Black Edition 3.50GHz 6-Core Processor
RAM (2x4GB Strips) - Ballistix Sport 8GB (2x4GB) 1600MHz CL9 DDR3
(Single 4GB Strip) - Integral 4BG 1600MHz DDR3
MOBO - Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3P AMD Socket AM3+
GFX - Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB

If I purchase another strip, does anybody know if the dual channel will work and have all 16GB usable? Anybody know how to "unlock" the 4GB of RAM currently? As I'd like around 12GB RAM, or 16 if necessary, as 8GB is too little to run intensive games and multitask.

Solution

you will need to lookup the specs of your memory modules and see which one has the lower latencies. whichever one is lower should be the ones to set in the BIOS

This problem may occur due to the Maximum memory option is selected incorrectly. To fix it, follow these steps:
Select Start window icon and type msconfig in the Search programs. Then click msconfig in the Programs list. In the System Configuration window select advanced options on the Boot tab. Select to clear the Maximum memory check box, and then click OK. Restart the computer.

LewisInce

Prominent
Jul 20, 2017

How do I find out the timings of the second module?

you will need to lookup the specs of your memory modules and see which one has the lower latencies. whichever one is lower should be the ones to set in the BIOS

Solution