Question 12gb3080ftw3 crashing warzone

Jun 15, 2022
Build specifications:
MSI Z590 Tomahawk
EVGA 1000W Gold
2x 3000Mhz 8Gb DDR4 2x 3200Mhz 8Gb DDR4 (XMP enabled)
970 Evo 1Tb SSD
i7 10700K 3.8Ghz (OC'd in BIOS to 5.1Ghz)
EVGA 3080 FTW3 12Gb
Windows 10 64bit

I built this computer to play Warzone. When it works, it works great, getting ≤180FPS in 2K ray tracing enabled on the highest settings on Rebirth Island. But it crashes every other game, no error message, and in windows event viewer it just says application hang.

I've tried under volting with MSI afterburner which didn't help. I found someone with the same build with the same issue that brought theirs to microcenter to be tested and it turned out to be a bad stick of DDR4, so i thought i had found the solution. But after running 10 hours of memtest86 testing all 4 sticks, they all passed.

So now I'm not really sure what to do. This is a brand new build with fresh installed windows, applications and drivers so a fresh install of anything is out of the question. Windows is up to date. The only solution I've found is to change the name of the application in program files before every launch, which is ridiculous.

This particular board has a 6 pin PCIe connector on the MOBO for the PCIe 4.0 slot, which is plugged in, then two cables going to the 24 pin GPU connector, one daisy chained. Is it possible it's not getting enough power like that? Maybe I should use 3 cables to the GPU? Any ideas are greatly appreciated, thanks a lot guys.

Jun 15, 2022
is your graphics card taking third PCIe 6 pins connectors from the PSU?
I'm not sure I understand your question. There's a 6 pin on the board, which wasn't on my z490a, which is being RMAd right now. I've never seen that before but evidently it's for the PCIe 4.0 slot my GPU is connected to. Then, there are two 8 pin cables running from my PSU to my 24 pin GPU. The one cable is 8 pin to 6+2 pin and the other is 8 pin to 6+2 pin with another daisy chained 6+2 pin.

Jun 15, 2022
My apologies,
So what you need to do is have your gpu take all three 8 pin connectors from the power supply and test to see if taking out the 6 pin from the motherboard does anything.

if not, I will find other more helpful solutions.

alexbirdie

Respectable
then two cables going to the 24 pin GPU connector, one daisy chained
Should be 3 cables( no daisy chain or Y-cables etc.), plugged into PSU-VGA1,2,3 or 4. If you have Y-cables for this PSU, then use 3 Y-cables.

Could really be a power-problem.

"6 pin PCIe connector on the MOBO for the PCIe 4.0 slot " This should be used only, if you have a second GPU. Otherwise not neccessary, as far as I found out in the web.