12K High End No Budget Gaming Build

Alex Bonner

Reputable
Oct 7, 2014
Hi Guys.

So been looking into a new build and just cant seem to find the information on parts I think I need for it to be worth while.

I already have 3x 4K monitors being run by 2x Gigabyte G1 980Ti's with surprisingly good results. Have to make some sacrifices and sometimes I just have to run them in 78x14 res but until the 1080Ti was a out I knew that would be the case. I'm not a fan of Nvidia stock PCB's or Founders cards so I've been waiting for the custom boards and coolers.

Q1. My plans was grab a 7700K to replace my 4770K along with a new Z270 MOBO but I cant seem to find a dual 16x slot MOBO. Did they not bother after Broadwell to implement dual 16x?

Q2. Also hopefully without starting a riot its worth asking if a high end RYZEN would better suit my needs?

Q3. DDR4 - Would buying 64GB of RAM benefit me?

Q4. M.2 SSD - Does any Z270 MOBO have extra bandwidth for M.2 drives or do they all just help itself to my PCIE allocation?

Appreciate your time, thanks Guys.

Solution
Q1: there are many dual 16x slot motherboards in Z270, however in SLI they run at x8. Your current motherboard also runs the 2 x16 slots at x8. Only X99 platform (not worth it for gaming) can run 2 slots at X16 and only with a 40 lane CPU ($1000 cpu)

Q2: right now the 7700k games way better. Ryzen R5 might be more competitive gaming wise but we just don't know as its not out yet.

Q3: 64GB of ram is a waste of money. Heck for gaming anything over 16gb is a waste of money.

Q4: M.2 drives use the PCIe lanes from the motherboard, of which Z270 has 24. They will not be pulled from the 16 lanes your CPU has for the GPUs.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Q1: there are many dual 16x slot motherboards in Z270, however in SLI they run at x8. Your current motherboard also runs the 2 x16 slots at x8. Only X99 platform (not worth it for gaming) can run 2 slots at X16 and only with a 40 lane CPU ($1000 cpu)

Q2: right now the 7700k games way better. Ryzen R5 might be more competitive gaming wise but we just don't know as its not out yet.

Q3: 64GB of ram is a waste of money. Heck for gaming anything over 16gb is a waste of money.

Q4: M.2 drives use the PCIe lanes from the motherboard, of which Z270 has 24. They will not be pulled from the 16 lanes your CPU has for the GPUs.

Solution