[SOLVED] 12th Gen i7 CPU 100deg. during Lightroom Export

TiCoyote

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
I have a new build, and I mostly use my PC for photo editing. I was exporting photos, and my CPU was hitting 95-100 deg C during the export.
The CPU is an i7-12700F - 12th gen Alder Lake
MoBo: Gigabyte Z690 UD AX
Case: Cooler Master Q500L

My first question is whether this is something to worry about. The export takes around 5-10 min, so it is ok for the CPU to get that hot for that period of time? The rest of the time, the CPU runs at 20-45 deg.

If not, here are some things I might try:
1. I have 2 case fans. 80mm on the top and 120mm on the rear, both exhaust. I can put another 120mm on the front of the case for intake.

2. I'm using the stock cooler. I didn't apply any extra thermal paste. Just what was pre-applied. I can try a better cooler. This is the one I'm looking at: https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-SickleFlow-Contact-Technology/dp/B08KD6SPLW

3. There's only 2 inches of headroom between the top of the case and my desk. I can move the case or change the orientation, but this is the least convenient option.
They make a conversion kit so it will fit on the LGA 1700 socket.

Solution
To answer your first question, you need not be overly worried.
You really need to do nothing.

The processor monitors it's own temperature and will adjust speed or even shut down if it senses a dangerous temperature.
That point is around 100c.

What is your graphics card?

1. Yes, it would be a good thing to add some more air intake capability.
Since you have a 120mm fan available, try that.
In front might be good. Likely, you will do better.

2. The 12700F should come with a stock cooler that is adequate(barely)
But, since it can not be overclocked, the cooling needs are modest.
Verify that all 4 push pins of the stock cooler are through the motherboard and locked. Your idle temps suggest that you mounted the cooler well.
The stock...

Lutfij

Titan
If you changed the case to something that had better airflow(and isn't an oven by design) then you might see a benefit to getting an aftermarket aircooler, might even see a drop in temps with the stock cooler(although the stock cooler isn't exactly a good piece of hardware).

I have a new build, and I mostly use my PC for photo editing. I was exporting photos, and my CPU was hitting 95-100 deg C during the export.
The CPU is an i7-12700F - 12th gen Alder Lake
MoBo: Gigabyte Z690 UD AX
Case: Cooler Master Q500L

My first question is whether this is something to worry about. The export takes around 5-10 min, so it is ok for the CPU to get that hot for that period of time? The rest of the time, the CPU runs at 20-45 deg.

If not, here are some things I might try:
1. I have 2 case fans. 80mm on the top and 120mm on the rear, both exhaust. I can put another 120mm on the front of the case for intake.

2. I'm using the stock cooler. I didn't apply any extra thermal paste. Just what was pre-applied. I can try a better cooler. This is the one I'm looking at: https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-SickleFlow-Contact-Technology/dp/B08KD6SPLW

3. There's only 2 inches of headroom between the top of the case and my desk. I can move the case or change the orientation, but this is the least convenient option.
They make a conversion kit so it will fit on the LGA 1700 socket.
For test purpose can you move the pc out from under the desk?

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
1. That particular case is well known to have absolutely terrible airflow. Doesn't make any difference what cpu cooler or gpu is used, they get starved for fresh air.

2. You have a cpu well capable of over 200w. The 12700K does not come with a stock cooler. Intel in its wisdom stopped giving ppl free coolers only for them to land on eBay a week later. As is, the stock coolers Intel does give away are miserable and barely cover standard usage.

The cooler you are looking at doesn't cut the mustard. Not even close. Forget snazzy, forget the paint job, you absolutely Need a cooler with serious HP. You should be looking at NH-D15/DarkRock Pro 4 class coolers, the big-boys. Or at a minimum a 240mm AIO.

For all intents and purposes, you cpu is basically showing up to a gun battle with a McDonald's straw and a ball point pen that's out of ink.

To answer your first question, you need not be overly worried.
You really need to do nothing.

The processor monitors it's own temperature and will adjust speed or even shut down if it senses a dangerous temperature.
That point is around 100c.

What is your graphics card?

1. Yes, it would be a good thing to add some more air intake capability.
Since you have a 120mm fan available, try that.
In front might be good. Likely, you will do better.

2. The 12700F should come with a stock cooler that is adequate(barely)
But, since it can not be overclocked, the cooling needs are modest.
Verify that all 4 push pins of the stock cooler are through the motherboard and locked. Your idle temps suggest that you mounted the cooler well.
The stock paste is fine as is.
If you want to remount, you need to clean it all off and use new paste.
If you want a better cooler, there are better options than hyper212.
A new cooler will need a lga1700 mounting kit that will come on most new stock.
Verify that whatever you buy has one.
For such a nice system, I would pay a bit more for a Noctua NH-U12s.
They are high quality, easy to mount, and quiet.

3. 2 inches is enough. Hot exhaust air rises and will dissipate without any back pressure.
You are ok there.

Solution

TiCoyote

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
1. I tried moving the PC, and that made a modest difference, maybe 5 deg.

2. I tried running an export with the side panel removed entirely. That made a significant difference. Reduced temps to around 80-90 deg during export.

3. I ran an export with the side panel in place, but the front mesh panel removed. That also brought temps down to 80-90 deg, with momentary spikes up to 100, but less than a second. That leads me to believe that front intake will make a difference.

A better case sounds like it might be a better investment than a better cooler. I need something that is under 17" to fit under my desk. The only other option I can find is this:

https://www.amazon.com/Lian-Li-O11-...refix=lian+li+o11+air+mini,aps,43&sr=8-1&th=1

Worth it?

Lian Li is very good quality.
As an alternative, a MATX case that I have used and liked is the silverstone TJ-08E that is equally compact and a bit smaller

210mm(W) x 374mm(H) x 385mm(D), 30.2 liters
8.27" (W) x 14.72" (H) x 15.16" (D), 30.2 liters

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Worth it?
Matter of opinion. Lian-Li has been making some of the best cases around, for a very long time in pc vernacular. At least now they are more mainstream affordable. Quality is top-shelf. The Air-mini is a very good case, tons of airflow ability and versatility.

With your setup, and desk, it's a good match. But I would upgrade the cooler to a decent 240mm/280mm and slap it in front as intake, you'll have the room, which will drop cpu temps under a load like a hot potato. Just use top exhaust/front intake, don't bother with rear or side.

TiCoyote

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2014
Lian Li is very good quality.
As an alternative, a MATX case that I have used and liked is the silverstone TJ-08E that is equally compact and a bit smaller

210mm(W) x 374mm(H) x 385mm(D), 30.2 liters
8.27" (W) x 14.72" (H) x 15.16" (D), 30.2 liters
Thank you for the suggestion, but I have an ATX MoBo, so I don't think that case will fit. Also, it's on the pricey side.

Your graphics card is not particularly hot.
You really need do nothing.
But, I think a 120mm front intake would go a long way towards better temperatures for both the cpu and gpu.

I do not have experience with the new intel stock coolers.
But, the design looks to be a bit better than the old coolers.
Under load, the smallish 92mm fan may spin up and get noisy.
If you want, a simple tower type cooler with a 120mm fan will result in better temperatures and less noise.
Noctua NH-U12s would be my buy.
It is relatively inexpensive, quiet and easy to install:
https://www.newegg.com/p/13C-0005-00237