Question 12v 3 pin Rgb fans stuck at 100%

Jul 24, 2020
Hi
New build I’m doing for a family member. Bought the silverstone ps15 rgb case (wish I hadn’t now) and b450m mortar max. Checked on msi site that they were compatible, which it says they are.

Problem is when the RGB fan header is connected to the MB 5050 RGB header, the fans run at 100%.
I’ve tried amending the Bios and using the msi software. Nothing I do will change the speeds. However when I unhook the RGB, normal speed control resumes.
I’ve googled everything I can think of, I’ve emailed silverstone, downloaded the manual and watched numerous reviews of this case. Closest information I got was one mention in an Amazon review, which started off with the reviewer having a similar type problem and ended with him burning out the MB 😱

Help me TomsHardware forum, your my only hope!

Lutfij

Titan
Which BIOS version is the board on currently? I would also advise on taking note of the arrow that indicates which pin needs to be aligned first on the motherboard header. As a point of reference, we're going to need your system's specs. Please include/list your specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
GPU:
PSU:

Add some pictures of how they're(all connections) connected to the board.

FYI, I've worked with that board coupled with the Ryzen 7 3700x and it's RGB stock cooler, which was plugged into the JRGB1 header on the board. No issues at all. I think your connections might be in the wrong polarity.

Reactions: Toastyloaf
Jul 24, 2020
Cpu: ryzen 3600
MB: b450m mortar max
ram: 16gb 3200
sd/hdd: 250gb Samsung evo + 1tb toshiba hdd
Gpu: gigabyte 1660 super
Psu: silverstone 650watt modular

not close by for pictures at the moment, will up load in a bit if ok.
But basically exhaust fan is a 3 pin with no rgb. It is connected to sys.fan 1. And works fine.
Cpu is wraith spire and it is connected to cpu fan + jrgb1. And works fine both fan speed and LED adjustments.
Top rgb intake fan is connected to sys.fan 2 bottom intake fan is connected to sys.fan 3.
Then rgb off both fans have been connected in various ways to jrgb2. Tried them separately, tried them daisy chained together as they have the connectors to do that and also bought an rgb splitter and tried them through that. Daisy chained together one fan shows red the other green on booting up fans run at 100%. Separately and or through the splitter both fans show red on booting and are able to change colours via the msi software. However the fans run at 100%.

Bios is latest off Msi website version .280 i think. Up from .270 which was pre installed. Had same issue with both, why I tried updating it.
I have taken note of the little arrow on the headers.

As to 2nd reply regarding strips not fans. Msi specifically says this rgb case is compatible with this mb. I wondered the same thing myself. But I can get the LEDs to work perfectly but when they powered in anyway, the fans ignore the bios and software settings and go straight to 100%.
To me it feels like a wiring issue between the fan power and the led power somehow. But I don’t know and find it weird that no one else has had this issue with this case.

thank you both for the input though.