Question 12v ATX doesn't fit

Sep 4, 2019
Hello, I've just upgraded to a ryzen 5 3600 and an aorus b450m motherboard. I have a problem with the 12V ATX connector, as the motherboard is designed with an 8-Pin connector, and I have two connectors of 4 pins.
I know I should be able to plug them on the motherboard, and I can do that easily, but the pattern in both connectors is not the same. One of my 4-Pin connectors has all of its pins rounded, and the other one has 2 rounded and 2 squared. There is only one possible way I can plug them, but I don't know if it will work or if it will harm my processor. Should it work fine?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The 2x 4pins should connect together,. forming an 8pin.

The way they 'join' should be obvious; the latching clips should meet, likely has a little lip on one side for them to slot together easily..... But if it's not too obvious, you should be able to tell by referencing the EPS header on the board.

If they fit, then it'll work. The header/connector is keyed so that it can only possibly fit in one way.
Don't force anything, but if the 2x4pins, together fit into the header on the board, that's how it's supposed to be.