[SOLVED] -12v Rail missing on Power supply tester

Feb 9, 2021
Recently bought a Dell D460EM-00 REF.NO DPS-460DB016 A power supply, I plugged it into my PSU tester and the -12v rail isnt lighting up, so i was wondering if anyone had any luck fixing this.

I own a soldering station and a hot air station so im more than happy to replace parts if needed.

Solution
Recently bought a Dell D460EM-00 REF.NO DPS-460DB016 A power supply, I plugged it into my PSU tester and the -12v rail isnt lighting up, so i was wondering if anyone had any luck fixing this.

I own a soldering station and a hot air station so im more than happy to replace parts if needed.

Did you buy it for a Dell XPS/Alienware or did you buy it for something else?

Dell XPS/Alienware doesn't use - 12V, so they don't bother adding it to their PSUs.

Ralston18

Titan
PSUs are not designed for DIY repairs.

In fact there are many, many cautions and warnings about attempting to do so.

Even with good soldering skills you are likely to discover that such repairs are very difficult for one reason or another.

I am all in favor of DIY but being able to make sure repairs is generally becoming more and more problematic due to design, identifying proper component/replacement parts, etc..

Return the defective PSU (if possible) for a replacement or refund.

If that is not possible then properly dispose of/recycle the Dell PSU and obtain another PSU.

Dell XPS/Alienware doesn't use - 12V, so they don't bother adding it to their PSUs.

Reactions: Kacpersk
Solution
Feb 9, 2021

That makes sense, i just double checked the label and it clearly doesnt show a -12v rail , kinda feel stupid now, thanks for the help.

Feb 9, 2021
It may also be that the PSU doesn't have a -12V rail to begin with. Its use was limited to RS-232 (i.e., the serial port) and regular PCI. So if the computer that PSU was meant to go into doesn't have either, then there's no point in providing it.
yup, i just double checked the label and it clearly doesnt show a -12v rail , kinda feel stupid now, thanks for the help.