[SOLVED] 12v rail problems

alehei

Honorable
Feb 15, 2017
Hi all,
I have been using this Corsair TX850 PSU for a bit more than 5 years and never had any trouble. Recently my PC shut down and told me "Power Surge Detected" after POST.

I have tested it with a PSU tester and voltage was 11.9v on the 24pin and 12.2v on the CPU pin which seems fine.

What I noticed is that on HWinfo, voltage would slowly creep up from 11.520v (the normal voltage number I have always seen since new) to about 13-13.6v and shuts itself down. When checking in BIOS after the surge shutdown, it always reads over 13v with a maximum reading of about 16v!

Unfortunately I dont have other PSU to switch to, so testing it is pretty hard.

Logically, it is probably the PSU that is failing but my question is, should I just bite my hand and get a PSU or is there a possibility that my motherboard's sensors are going bad?

Also, I always thought that a dying PSU would cause problems when the PC is under load but mine is doing exactly the opposite, I just have to keep my PC under load in order to keep the 12v from rising to a dangerous point. Is this type of death possible?

Thank you and apologies for this very long post.

PC Specs
Motherboard: Asus Z170m Plus
CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16gb x2 CL16 3200mhz
GPU: Asus Rogstrix GTX1080
PSU: Corsair TX850

alehei

Honorable
Feb 15, 2017
Think in this case looking at the psu model (age) that is is the psu and that a new one should remedy the problems.

Any recomendations? Right now I'm looking at a Seasonic Prime 850w since I heard good things about them but not sure if I should go with gold, platinum or titanium rating. Will titanium theoratically be more reliable since it's built at a higher standard?

Ps. I overclock my components so I would like a quality unit that maybe can also serve me in a future build.