13-14" AMD where keyboard is most important factor (heavy typing / programming)

Nov 14, 2022
ThinkPad keyboards just aren't what they used to be. I have been testing out laptop keyboards at local shops the the past couple of weeks and am not really finding any decent keyboards. For the most part all of these modern keyboards feel like junky slivers of plastic attached to flimsy mini ironing boards. I don't really buy the "market demands these types of keyboards" argument. I would put money on this being the result of cost cutting measures and the general public is not aware that there are, and used to be, better options available. On the newer ThinkPads for example, there really is no difference between those keyboards and the keyboards they are using on their cheaper lines.

I've read that some of these newer gaming laptops have mechanical keyboards. Does anyone have any experience with any of those? Also, are they constantly warm or do they stay low temp when not running heavy GPU tasks?

Screen: 13-14" Budget: < $1500, AMD only

Nov 14, 2022
Here's better idea on what to do:
Rather than finding the best built-in KB for you, how about you buy standalone KB and hook it up to any device you desire? This way, you can find yourself far more suitable KB and also can use it with any device you like.

Further reading: https://www.rtings.com/keyboard/reviews/best/by-usage/writers

Thanks. Are we at a place where laptop keyboards aren't good any longer? To me this seems like a waste of resources to build a device like a laptop and the main input device is only passable. Buying a laptop and using an good external keyboard feels like a failure.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Are we at a place where laptop keyboards aren't good any longer?

Yes and No.

Thing is, the cheap built-in KB of most laptops is "good enough" for most people. And since they are cheap to make, no point to jack up laptop price to install expensive KB in it.
For similar example; i have desktop PC and the built-in audio within my MoBo is good enough for me, sound wise. And i don't need built-in AMP and/or DAC, for superior audio quality.

On the flip side, those who use PCs for work (desktop, laptop etc), often use dedicated hardware for their tasks.
E.g i do a lot of image editing and i will not use cheapo TN panel monitor for my tasks, that has washed out colors and terrible contrast ratio. Instead, i'm using VA panel monitor, which has great color accuracy (slightly worse than IPS panel monitor) but the best contrast ratio. Contrast ratio wise, IPS panel is equal to TN panel and has poor contrast ratio. Only VA panel offers the contrast ratio i need.
Or the audio example above, audiophiles often install dedicated sound card within their system, to get the superior sounds they prefer.
This is so with all peripherals actually, that has to do with touch, feel, looks, sounds. Since each person has individual feel/taste.

10-20 years ago, there weren't many, if any, options regarding peripherals and what companies put out, as good or as bad they were, people had to get used to them, since there weren't any other options. Today, options are far and wide, where anyone can find the hardware according to their individual needs.

There are some laptops that come with decent mechanical keyboards, pretty much all gaming ones. For exact temp readings you would need to look at some reviews of models you may like, they often have pretty good temperature readouts on different locations on the system.

For home use, use a docking station, external keyboard/mouse and monitor. If you are mobile often and working on it, then the keyboard is more important. May want to get an external one anyway, a 60-70% keyboard is not very large. I sometimes travel with one on trips.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Also, with mechanical KBs, do note that what makes KB mechanical, is the switch type in it and those types vary from side to side.

Here's lineup of common Cherry MX mechanical switches,
link: https://www.cherrymx.de/en/blog/cherry-mx-switches-at-a-glance.html

Prior of buying my mechanical KB, on paper, Cherry MX Brown looked best. But once i tested them out in the store, i found Brown to be terrible, and Red to be best for my feel. So, i ended up buying KB with Cherry MX Silent (same as Red but far quieter). KB i have is Corsair Strafe RGB (specs).

With mechanical KBs, i strongly suggest trying them out, before buying one. With Cherry MX switches, there are even testers out there, that you can buy and get an accurate feel of the different switches,
amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Cherry-Switch-Tester-keyboard-Sampler/dp/B01GZHU1EG