13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro May be Priced at $1699

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Way too much for a 13 inch laptop regardless of specs. For that You could get a nice gaming lap with a 1080 screen, SSD and much better graphics option than this has.

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
*sigh*
*Looks at revolutionary MacBook advertising*
*Looks at own Sager notebook*

I fail to see any reason to buy said MacBook. Any of them. I just don't understand how people can defend paying this much for a notebook of such caliber. If you like the looks of it, go buy an Ultrabook and at least get Windows 7 on it. If you want more power than that, go buy a Samsung Series 7. There just isn't a place in the market for the MacBook >at this price

Ragnar-Kon

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
Too much for me... but then again the laptop's 13" screen has more pixels than my desktop's 24" screens.

Plus if it is like the the 15" retina its probably got custom RAM and custom SSD chips that are soldered directly onto the motherboard. Adds to the price and makes it completely non-upgradeable. No thanks.

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I wonder what the volumetric pricing of a Mac or an iPhone is compared to a Lamborghini or a Porsche. I feel like Apple products are far, far more expensive (per m^3).

arcticfury

Honorable
Oct 9, 2012
My room-mates always manage to spend $1500+ on their Macbooks, with minimum wage college jobs, then expect it to play video games and run course-related software packages.

Could have split that up, bought an inexpensive productivity PC laptop, then used the rest for a budget gaming setup. Or maybe even save for a car.

Unfortunately, if you don't own a Mac in college, you aren't "cool." Kids letting their wallets be dictated by a status symbol.

G

Buddy of mine bought a brand new iMac for $2500. When I asked him what it had inside he said, "I dunno, it's the best one though."

I think that pretty much sums up the vast majority of people who buy Apple computers. I gotta hand it to them though, they cornered the market on idiots with money. They wouldn't price them like this if they didn't sell. Well played Apple.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
[citation][nom]soldier2013[/nom]Way too much for a 13 inch laptop regardless of specs. For that You could get a nice gaming lap with a 1080 screen, SSD and much better graphics option than this has.[/citation]

This laptop has a 2560x1600 display, an SSD, and nobody even hinted at the graphics options present. Life doesn't revolve around gaming. Some people like to do real work with their laptops that really benefits from high resolution displays like: coding, photo editing, video editing, web design, etc.

Is it the most cost-effective option? Probably not, but it does have uses besides browsing Facebook. You know some people that buy Macs aren't knobs ;)

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
4 months since the release of the 15" retina display MBP and there still isn't anything comparable on the market. (mobile i7 & dedicated graphics in a 2kg 15" machine as thin as an ultrabook with a 95Whr battery and a display like that)
It's priced way out of reach of the average laptop buyer, but if nobody else does anything comparable, then you can ask whatever price you want.

I wonder how much they can stuff inside the 13" model. Hopefully it's going to be more than just a slightly beefed up MB Air.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]Actually it's been proven that people who buy Apple products more often than not have a college degree.[/citation]

This isn't meant to be a joke, but you pretty much need a college degree to afford one, so of course most of them have one. As the above article stated, the 15" starts at $2200. Realistically, anyone making under $10/hr at McDonalds or Walmart isn't going to be able to afford a $2200 laptop, nor are they going to need one either. It should be noted that having a college degree doesn't really automatically imply anything. Graduating among the top of your class from MIT has pretty much nothing in common with graduating with an associates degree from a community college. So your point doesn't really make any point at all.

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]lostmyclan[/nom]apple shit =) made for low Q.I people[/citation]

The MBP is most certainly not shit. It may be overpriced, but it's a quality piece of equipment that has some desirable unmatched to date features. Calling the MBP shit does more to demonstrate your lack of knowledge than anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.