.13 P3 512k VS A4 Benchmarks@!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Matisaro

Splendid
Mar 23, 2001
A: the p3 has cas3 ram cause its damn fsb is set sky high, which is ALSO why it beat the a4 in scores.
B: do the math dullard, the p3 is some 75mhz faster than the a4, and its fsb is much faster. clock for clock, on the same fsb the a4 won the benchmark.

Youre right about one thing, it is a good link.
PS: pointing out a single bench result among 10 others to show your chip favorably is the act of a troll, and also notice how I only posted the benchmarks, I didnt draw any conclusions from them due to the fact it wasnt a head to head, and had no controls.
Troll

~Matisaro~
"Friends don't let friends buy Pentiums"
~Tbird1.3@1.55~

Sojourn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Not very impressive? Their TwinBank Crossbar memory architecture is much more interesting, efficient, impressive, and practical than RDRAM's latency-generating dual channel implementation, if you had bothered to look at anything more than the pretty diagrams. The CPU is also not the only thing that uses system memory, so you will see a performance increase in nForce systems using an addon video card and dual channel memory over systems using single channel memory. Also, the 128bit memory interface isn't the only interesting aspect of the chipset. The integrated audio is the most advanced ever created. The HyperTransport implementation offers more bandwidth to its PCI devices than any other chipset save the SiS 735. This bandwidth allows the nForce to give devices priority access to the memory, which promises to offer at least some performance improvements in pretty much all peripherals, most noticeably their integrated ethernet adapter, which will no longer have to settle for first-come-first-serve memory access. I realize you'd probably like me to dig up documentation on all this, but its all been covered and discussed dozens of times on various hardware and news sites. Unfortunately I'm not a paid nVidia troll with endless hours to dig them up. Take your Intel FUD back to your lair and quit trying to recoup your Intel and Rambus stock losses by critizing long over due innovation in the chipset market.

-= This is our wading pool.
Stop pissing in it. =-

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
"you will see a performance increase in nForce systems using an addon video card and dual channel memory over systems using single channel memory"

Yes, you will see a slight performance increase using nForce over the other DDR platforms. But you will still have less bandwidth than a Pentium 4 system using RDRAM.

"Take your Intel FUD back to your lair and quit trying to recoup your Intel and Rambus stock losses by critizing long over due innovation in the chipset market."

Did I hit a nerve? We need a hose over here folks. The flames have started up!

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

dhlucke

Polypheme
Good info regarding the 2.1 GB/s. Question to you is this though: Why are you the only one saying this? I'm assuming it's true, but why wouldn't sites be breaking apart the Nforce marketing gimic?

<font color=red>Yeah, I took a crap on your lawn. Whatcha gonna do about it?</font color=red>

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
This is usually because they do not like Rambus. Because of this, they will not use RDRAM, which was originally designed by Rambus. Thus, they look to alternatives and are thirsting for the best alternate technology, which is DDR SDRAM. Of that alternate technology, the nForce is the best chipset. It certainly does not beat the Pentium 4 with RDRAM as far as memory bandwidth to the CPU is concerned, but these people are a bit like religious zealots. Even if the technology is superior, they will not use it because they disagree with something done by the company that designed it (Rambus.) If Rambus did something wrong, let the courts punish them. I just want the memory technology that performs best. Currently, that is the dual-channel RDRAM used in the i850 chipset.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
An OC-ed tully with cas 3 ram. yuck.
probably would have been better to get the A4 underclocked so at least they could have the same ram speed...
A4 is always going to have an advantage anyways due to having DDR in that instance.

question is... how well does the Tully lend itself to DDR?
that would be the logical development.
as its based on the p3 archetecture i imagine there wouldnt be much change, as seen by the benchmarks of mating a p3 with DDR that tom did a while back.

could be wrong of course.
any ideas?

Quote from the Hamster: "Why is it that Morons are just smart enough to understand how to breed?"

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
"question is... how well does the Tully lend itself to DDR?"

It wasn't designed with DDR memory in mind. The Pentium III is on its way out for the most part. It is useful in notebooks though.

-Raystonn

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
*nods*

i think people are overlooking that aspect.
good as it may be its still an aging design with the same inherent bottlenecks.

one can only pray that intel had the intelligence to release a proper fully equiped 0.13u P4. i.e. 512k L2 cache, better FPU etc.
also full pc2100 ddr support would be a blessing. get the costs down and offer more than one memory choice.

People on both sides of the fence bagg intel/amd. personally i dont want either to fail. otherwise, who will keep the other bastard honest?

Quote from the Hamster: "Why is it that Morons are just smart enough to understand how to breed?"

Oni

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I thought RDRAM provided 3200 megabits(or some close number) of memory bandwidth and nForce dual channel DDR offered 4200.
Thats why Pentium 4 with nForce as the chipset might make for the ultimate Video Editing, DVD ripping machine. Insane memory bandwidth for all that lovely video manipulation. P4 still needs to drop in price though.

I also don't understand why Intel dropped the P3 to .13 micron process except for laptops and maybe to add more cache. They should have done it with P4 so they could get higher clock speeds and run cooler. A P4 with .13 micron process will probably be able to clock from 2 GHz to 2.5 GHz and maybe higher while still running at reasonable temperatures.

At the same time I'd love to see an Athlon with .13 micron process. Maybe it'd finally get rid of all these heat issues because morons save $5 buying a crappy HSF.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
It certainly does not beat the Pentium 4 with RDRAM as far as memory bandwidth to the CPU is concerned, but these people are a bit like religious zealots. Even if the technology is superior, they will not use it because they disagree with something done by the company that designed it (Rambus.)

This is because some people have moral standards. Do you fail to see that by supporting their products, one is also supporting the company, in this case the theives known as Rambus.

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say
today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by holygrenade on 08/08/01 09:35 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
Well, 4.2GB/sec won't do the CPU much good--Athlons currently only have 2.1GB/sec bandwidth to the FSB. The interleaving (if done) should reduce latency slightly though.

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

Sojourn

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, you will see a slight performance increase using nForce over the other DDR platforms. But you will still have less bandwidth than a Pentium 4 system using RDRAM.
Last time I checked, 4.2 > 3.1, so the nForce offers more bandwidth than RDRAM. We're not talking about the CPU, we're talking about the nForce chipset, and it offers higher bandwidth at lower latencies than Intel's RDRAM solution, and is more versitile to boot. If this makes the technologies used in the nForce boring and without merit, what does that say about Intel or Rambus?

Did I hit a nerve? We need a hose over here folks. The flames have started up!
I've always had a shortage of patience when it comes to ignorance and deceit, one or both of which you're guilty of. Given your large stake in the fortunes of both Intel and Rambus, I am assuming in your case its at least the latter. I appologize if I was too blunt with the truth or my opinions on liars.

-= This is our wading pool.
Stop pissing in it. =-

FatBurger

Illustrious
Remember that the CPU can't handle that much bandwidth (according to Raystonn, I haven't looked this up myself yet). The memory/chipset bandwidth is greater, but the memory/CPU bandwidth isn't as much.

Will that change with Palamino? Anyone know?

-----------------------
Quarter pounder inside