[SOLVED] 13600k max clock frequency and voltage at idle on default bios settings and balanced power settings?

Mdoss

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
aYCLPlY.png

I am not super worried since temps are still very low at around 28C, but this doesn't seem like normal behavior from my experiences in the past.

I didn't touch overclocking in the bios, and it happens whether xmp is disabled or enabled. My only guess is something on auto in the bios is defaulting to this behavior.

Solution
First, make sure you are running the latest BIOS version for your motherboard, which is? (Also the rest of your hardware specs would be helpful, ANYTIME you are asking for help on a forum with something related to that hardware)

After updating to the latest BIOS, if necessray, then in the BIOS make sure that Intel speed step (EIST) is enabled. For now at least, I would disable Intel speed SHIFT. Be sure to save settings before exiting the BIOS.

Go to the product page for your motherboard and download and install the latest chipset (.inf) driver. Restart the system.

In Windows, go to the power plan settings, click on change plan settings, click on advanced options, and under "Processor power management make sure the "MIN" value is set...
First, make sure you are running the latest BIOS version for your motherboard, which is? (Also the rest of your hardware specs would be helpful, ANYTIME you are asking for help on a forum with something related to that hardware)

After updating to the latest BIOS, if necessray, then in the BIOS make sure that Intel speed step (EIST) is enabled. For now at least, I would disable Intel speed SHIFT. Be sure to save settings before exiting the BIOS.

Go to the product page for your motherboard and download and install the latest chipset (.inf) driver. Restart the system.

In Windows, go to the power plan settings, click on change plan settings, click on advanced options, and under "Processor power management make sure the "MIN" value is set to between 5-8% on the Balanced plan.

Solution

Mdoss

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2012
deep cool ak620
Asrock z690 Pro RS
GTX 1080
3200mhz cl16
850w super flower leadex

I was already on the latest bios update for the board, 12.07 .
I had already updated to the latest inf driver.
Fresh install of windows 10.
Balanced power plan was unchanged and set to 5%.

Speed step was enabled by default.
Speed shift was enabled by default, turning it off seemed to work to allow the cpu to downclock and lower voltage during idle. I found another post of yours from a couple years ago recommending to leave shift disabled, so I will just assume that to be your recommendation in this case as well. Thanks!

Indeed. It is. And I keep running into situations exactly like yours, and like all of my Intel machines have been since Skylake, that just confirm that belief that Speed Shift does not work properly on a lot of systems. Maybe all systems. Certainly all systems I've worked on. I'm betting a lot of people don't realize it because they tend to (foolishly) prefer a static core frequency not understanding that those breaks allow the cores to cool which in turn helps to keep the package cooler. So, right on that it worked for you man.