[SOLVED] 1366 x 768 might still be good for YOU!

Oct 10, 2019
I’m posting this in the hope it might save others from spending money on kit that then proves disappointing or even unusable.

Undoubtedly when you move to full-hd and beyond the images get sharper. As the more upmarket kit tends to have better graphics overall, you’re also likely to get stronger colors and better contrast. That said, for people like me with less than perfect eyesight, 1920 x 1080 is unusable except for streaming images on anything smaller than a 21” screen with 24” being ideal.

I discovered this after purchasing an LG gram with full-hd and 15” screen. Even using the scaling options had no effect with prolonged use and I need to stare at a screen for hours at a time.

Feeding this through a larger external monitor solved the problem but destroyed the portability which for my eyes is best served by 1366 x 768 on a 13” netbook. There are plenty of articles online saying how ‘bad’ this resolution is but it might not be for everyone.

Looking at different resolutions in a retail environment is also not guaranteed to be much help for long term use especially with the inevitable sales person spouting forth behind you.

By far the best option is to try to borrow a machine with the resolution you intend to move to and use it for several days to see how your eyes adapt.

Solution
1080p is ideal on a 21"+ screen as you said. It is also recommended not running 4k resolutions below a 27" screen otherwise font is too small and potential for eye strain. Smaller than 21", dpi size would suit a lower resolution if scaling isn't possible.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
1080p is ideal on a 21"+ screen as you said. It is also recommended not running 4k resolutions below a 27" screen otherwise font is too small and potential for eye strain. Smaller than 21", dpi size would suit a lower resolution if scaling isn't possible.

Solution