Question 13900k on ASUS Z790 TUF GAMING,

gecko19

Reputable
May 21, 2019
Hello All,

I am back here with my build woes. After sufferring a burn out I now have a Z790 TUF GAMING D5 board with a 13900k. I have left the settings/voltages etc at stock/auto and have enabled XMP1 which gives me 5600 MHz. Would I face any issues if I kept running it this way. I am fine with performance, but obviosuly during my workloads it constantly throttles the P-core to 5 GHZ and the E-Cores to 4.5 GHz and the temps remain at 100. A usual workload of mine takes 120 minutes to complete and I do 4-5 such workloads per day. I am hoping to keep the board(and everything else it hosts) for 4-5 years .

I did try to use adpative voltage setting on Global SVID, applying a negative offset of .28000 and the minimum turbo boost of (+).25000v, IBT was stable, but my workload eventually crashed the board. I am using a corsair 360mm elite cooler with 3x noctua 2000 rpm fans.

My question - would I burnout my CPU if I kept it stock, given that it will always be hot when doing compute heavy tasks.

When a given piece of hardware will fail is highly speculative.

"A usual workload of mine takes 120 minutes to complete and I do 4-5 such workloads per day. "........................are you being paid for your workloads? Or is this some sort of entertainment or hobby?

If being paid per workload, time is money and I'd be highly inclined to complete the workloads as fast a possible, regardless of consequences. Let the big horse run. That's why you bought it rather than an i3.

Intel CPUs are designed to wind up toward maximum clocks unless you deliberately take action (in the BIOS) to restrain them. You could just ignore it all and let the hardware throttle itself as it sees fit, by design. The long term consequences of that is anyone's guess. If it keeps you awake at night, do the necessary to restrain the clock speeds.

gecko19

Reputable
May 21, 2019
When a given piece of hardware will fail is highly speculative.

"A usual workload of mine takes 120 minutes to complete and I do 4-5 such workloads per day. "........................are you being paid for your workloads? Or is this some sort of entertainment or hobby?

If being paid per workload, time is money and I'd be highly inclined to complete the workloads as fast a possible, regardless of consequences. Let the big horse run. That's why you bought it rather than an i3.

Intel CPUs are designed to wind up toward maximum clocks unless you deliberately take action (in the BIOS) to restrain them. You could just ignore it all and let the hardware throttle itself as it sees fit, by design. The long term consequences of that is anyone's guess. If it keeps you awake at night, do the necessary to restrain the clock speeds.
Thanks @Lafong. I am happy to run it at full speed, since it is part of my work. However, one thing I do wish to avoid is failure which results in computation errors. I run Linux on the machine and I wouldnt want to find out the worst way that my CPU is not reliable any more - possibly after trying to fix bugs/build errors which were due to CPU problems.

gecko19

Reputable
May 21, 2019
bew
You might find this article interesting:
https://www.tomshardware.com/features/intel-core-13900k-cooling-tested

The take away is that the 13900K is designed to run as hard as it can, keeping the max temperature at 100c.

What is the make/model of your case and cpu cooler?
Is there an opportunity to upgrade cooling to improve your performance?

Do you have a budget?
Perhaps a I9-13900KS would do even better.

Thanks @geofelt . My case is a CIT dark knight. I use a 360 H150i Corsair ELITE cooler. The machine is built light, so that I can just put it into my suitcase and go to my parents place when needed, continuing to work from there.

I am fine with the 13900k. I had a 5960x which was overclocked and stable at 4.5GHZ , every 6 months, it needed extra voltages to be applied to the memory controller. In the end I claimed warranty from Intel and sold the replacement CPU and the board. Once those sort of issues happen, I have about a week in down time which is what I am trying to avoid.