[SOLVED] 14,5v on 12v rail

May 29, 2020
so yesterday i was using my pc like usual when it suddenly restarted by itself and it says
"power supply surges detected during the previous power on. asus anti surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply". this never happened before

when i checked the monitor in the bios, the 12v rail shows 14,5v and its highlighted red. so i thought that maybe my psu is dying since I've been using it for a while anyway.
so i went and grab a new psu and installed it and guess what? it wont load me into the desktop as it keeps restarting and then when i checked the bios it shows exactly the same voltage as my previous psu, 14,5v on the 12v rail.

i can boot into the desktop if i disable asus surge protection but im afraid and don't want to risk destroying other parts.

I don't think its the psu since the problem is still happening even in my hour old psu, or maybe its my motherboard sensor that's faulty and detecting false voltages? im not sure

i have asus p8b75-m lx and i5 3570
please help

Solution
That is pretty much exactly what I was going to say. IF, IF you can find a suitable motherboard that supports your CPU, it is going to be unrealistically expensive in most cases AND it's likely to be a waste of money for two potential reasons.

1. If you get an NOS (New old stock) board that is unused that somebody has had stashed waiting for a buyer like you, you are going to pay through the nose. It is not worth what it will cost to do this. It is money better spent towards a newer platform that will have a substantial lifespan ahead of it and will likely offer a significant bump in performance. Especially since you're on an Ivy bridge i5 rather than an i7, which would still not be that great but better than that 3570.

2. If you buy...
May 29, 2020
Agreed. Chances are good it's the motherboard/sensor.
should i immediately replace the motherboard or since there's a chance that it's the sensor that's faulty, should i test the psu using multimeter first?
i was kinda hoping that it's not the motherboard because im short on cash to replace it

should i immediately replace the motherboard or since there's a chance that it's the sensor that's faulty, should i test the psu using multimeter first?
i was kinda hoping that it's not the motherboard because im short on cash to replace it

Sandy bridge and ivy bridge motherboards are getting hard to come by without paying a premium on them. Then its questionable that the paste caps are still good. While my z77 sabertooth is humming along quite nicely still with daily gaming use for my son, its questionable how much longer it will last. 8 years is a long time for a modern motherboard.

You might be able to find a similar system or better for $200 used on craigslist.

If you are desperate you can get an embedded gemini lake for $130. It will he slower than what you have but still powerful enough for netflix youtube and surfing.

That is pretty much exactly what I was going to say. IF, IF you can find a suitable motherboard that supports your CPU, it is going to be unrealistically expensive in most cases AND it's likely to be a waste of money for two potential reasons.

1. If you get an NOS (New old stock) board that is unused that somebody has had stashed waiting for a buyer like you, you are going to pay through the nose. It is not worth what it will cost to do this. It is money better spent towards a newer platform that will have a substantial lifespan ahead of it and will likely offer a significant bump in performance. Especially since you're on an Ivy bridge i5 rather than an i7, which would still not be that great but better than that 3570.

2. If you buy used, you might be right back in the same situation next week, or a month from now, because all these boards that support Ivy and Sandy bridge processors are very old now. The capacitors in them, even in ones that are new old stock, are likely experiencing degradation even if they haven't been ridden hard or at all.

So, a replacement board is an option, but it isn't a good one. Unfortunately the cost of a worthwhile board for your system is probably going to run you about 1/3 to 1/2, or currently with the way things are now, maybe more, of what it would cost to get a really decent Ryzen 3600, motherboard and memory. For around 350 bucks you can get into a system that will give you a lot better performance, and a motherboard is likely going to cost you at least 150 bucks if you want something decent. Maybe more, I don't know for sure. I gave up trying to find good replacement options for those boards last year because it just got too ridiculous and the investment was becoming foolhardy.

Solution