Question 140mm Fan Recommendation Needed

rabmcnair90

Prominent
Jun 1, 2018
Hi,

I am currently building a new gaming PC and I am undecided about what cooling to use in my case.

So far I have:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (£196.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£67.11 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X370-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard (£159.03 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£79.38 @ Amazon UK)
Case: be quiet! - Silent Base 601 ATX Mid Tower Case (£104.77 @ Box Limited)
Total: £607.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-20 20:07 BST+0100

Thus far I have moved the two fans that came with the case to the front of the case as intake fans.

I plan on putting a 140mm at rear of case as an exhaust and unsure whether or not to put 1 or 2, 140mm fans on the roof of the case due to the air vent at top of case only being around the size of 1 x 140mm fan

Therefore, I was wondering if someone could help me with the following:

1. Do I get 1 or 2 fans for the roof of the case?

2. Do I need static or airflow fans for rear and top? The reason I ask is the CPU cooler is reasonably close to the rear fan and top fan slots.

3. Could you recommend what fans I should buy? Would like either black & orange or just plain black (RBG not as important as cooling and noise). Budget is £50 but the cheaper the better.

Thanks

* I have 3 Thermaltake Riing Pro RGB 120mm fans in my other build I can use but would prefer to get new fans as its less hassle.

Last edited:

hftvhftv

Distinguished
Ambassador
The Noctua NF-A14 is pretty much the best fan you can buy. https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=nf-a14&ref=nb_sb_noss_2 They're available in poop brown and beige but you can spend more for their chromax models which are black or even a little more to get the Industrial models which spin up to 3000RPM instead of 1500RPM. Generally I'd just say one fan for the roof, and airflow/hybrid fans are the best for the case, to need a static pressure fan it pretty much needs to be flush mounted to a cooler. Btw the Industrial 3000RPM models are slightly louder at the same RPM as the normal models, and are very loud at full speed, for a case fan probably just go with the normal models.

rabmcnair90

Prominent
Jun 1, 2018
Thanks for your suggestion and although they were within my price range I ended up going with Arctic Bionix F140 fans as it allowed me to buy a PWM fan hub as well.

Last edited:
Hi,

I am currently building a new gaming PC and I am undecided about what cooling to use in my case.

So far I have:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 2700 3.2 GHz 8-Core Processor (£196.99 @ Aria PC)
CPU Cooler: be quiet! - Dark Rock Pro 4 50.5 CFM CPU Cooler (£67.11 @ CCL Computers)
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX X370-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard (£159.03 @ Amazon UK)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (£79.38 @ Amazon UK)
Case: be quiet! - Silent Base 601 ATX Mid Tower Case (£104.77 @ Box Limited)
Total: £607.28
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-06-20 20:07 BST+0100

Thus far I have moved the two fans that came with the case to the front of the case as intake fans.

I plan on putting a 140mm at rear of case as an exhaust and unsure whether or not to put 1 or 2, 140mm fans on the roof of the case due to the air vent at top of case only being around the size of 1 x 140mm fan

Therefore, I was wondering if someone could help me with the following:

1. Do I get 1 or 2 fans for the roof of the case?

2. Do I need static or airflow fans for rear and top? The reason I ask is the CPU cooler is reasonably close to the rear fan and top fan slots.

3. Could you recommend what fans I should buy? Would like either black & orange or just plain black (RBG not as important as cooling and noise). Budget is £50 but the cheaper the better.

Thanks

* I have 3 Thermaltake Riing Pro RGB 120mm fans in my other build I can use but would prefer to get new fans as its less hassle.

Exhaust fans i would put high airflow fans without the filter.

If up against a radiator either pressure or balanced fans.

Theres a good deal on amazon for 3 rgb 140mm cooler master fans with controller. The af (high Air Flow) models are okay. AB (pressure and flow) are noisy. AP (pressure based) are worthless. They dont generate flow or pressure.

Its important to have a balanced design. Number fans in equal number out. Exhausting top/rear with intake bottom/front is best.

Also more fans mean less noise. Fans get exponentially louder as you try to double flow rate. Its not linear. So two fans running at 1/2 rated flow are quieter than 1 fan running at rated flow. I have 10 fan case and it cant be heard. But i never run my fans at full force. There isnt a real improvement in temps to crank them all.