[SOLVED] 144 hertz monitor is only showing a max rate of 60 hertz. Will using a HDMI to DVI adapter work?

Jun 12, 2020
Hello, My BenQ XL2411T monitor says it is 144 hertz although when i use a hdmi 2.1 cable to connect to my GPU (the GPU I am using is a gtx 1660 super), it only goes up to 60 hertz. Apparently this is because 144hz will only be capable with a DVI port. Do you think buying and using a HDMI to DVI adapter would solve this issue?

Solution
This particular monitor is limited to 60Hz over Hdmi. There are Displayport to DVI Dual Link active adapters that are capable but are expensive, 100$. Can almost buy a new monitor for that.

Your monitor's Hdmi port is v1.4. Doesn't matter what the cable was sold as, it's just a cable. Many cable companies sell them as v2, v2.1 etc, it's just marketing ploy. The specific version attributes begin with the port itself. Ie; Graphics card and monitor must have the same Hdmi version port to take advantage of the features on offer. Hdmi is backwards compatible however, but always limited to the oldest version in the link at each end of the cable, be it monitor or graphics card.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
This particular monitor is limited to 60Hz over Hdmi. There are Displayport to DVI Dual Link active adapters that are capable but are expensive, 100$. Can almost buy a new monitor for that.

Your monitor's Hdmi port is v1.4. Doesn't matter what the cable was sold as, it's just a cable. Many cable companies sell them as v2, v2.1 etc, it's just marketing ploy. The specific version attributes begin with the port itself. Ie; Graphics card and monitor must have the same Hdmi version port to take advantage of the features on offer. Hdmi is backwards compatible however, but always limited to the oldest version in the link at each end of the cable, be it monitor or graphics card.

Last edited:
Solution
Jun 12, 2020

Ahh okay thank you. Will bypassing the hdmi port on my monitor by connecting the hdmi cable to a DVI adapter and then, connecting it from the GPU to the DVI port on my monitor work do you thing? Thought this would be more cheaper than a using a dp to dvi adapter.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Unfortunately not. Hdmi to DVI adapters are single link only. You're kinda stuck aren't ya 🙂

This might interest you,

Displayport to DVI DL active adapter or buy a newer monitor with DP. Maybe run multi monitor. Or exchange the card for a DVI model like the one Geo suggested.

Jun 12, 2020
Unfortunately not. Hdmi to DVI adapters are single link only. You're kinda stuck aren't ya 🙂

This might interest you,

Displayport to DVI DL active adapter or buy a newer monitor with DP. Maybe run multi monitor. Or exchange the card for a DVI model like the one Geo suggested.
Lovely 😂😂. Thank you for the link. Also, what does single link mean?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Dual Link DVI have more active pins to make higher refresh rates possible where Single Link doesn't. What i mean by active pins is some adapters claiming to be Dual have all pins visible indicating Dual Link but aren't actually wired inside the plug housing, as in false advertising.

There are DVI Single and Dual Link pictures on the net if you want to see the difference.

Reactions: Abideet