Question 144 Hz display has flickering in search bar and pdf as well as turns off in pdf

Aug 26, 2020
Hey, I've looked all over google for multiple days now and I can't find a fix for this. I just recently built a new computer containing a RTX 2070 Super (Asus OC edition) and a 3700x.

Every time I try to type something in the search bar of chrome the screen will have these flickering grey bars moving around which are distracting but not a huge deal. There is the same thing when viewing PDFs though the flickering is so intense it seems to cause the monitor to temporarily turn off. This only happens in full screen and isn't present if the window isnt full screen.

I also find there's sometimes like white flickers in game or when streaming over the whole screen, not sure if thats related, they arent very frequent but are noticeable. Everynow and then for like a frame the screen will just go completely white. Happens maybe once every couple minutes.

Here's a link to a recording of the issue:
View: https://youtu.be/zzvluhk_JFI

Some notes:
  • Hardware acceleration is disabled in chrome
  • GPU Drivers are up to date
  • I've used this display previously with no issues, it's a LG 144 Hz display
  • I've tried to disable smooth scrolling
  • None of the 'disable slideshow windows background color' stuff works or was even applicable to me as it was all off by default
  • I'm using a bit of an older PSU if that matters, it's a Cooler Master M2 Silent Pro 620W I salvaged from a PC I built in like 2014 or so I think (maybe later): https://pcpartpicker.com/product/t7V48d/cooler-master-power-supply-rs620spm2e3us
  • I'm using a HDMI connector
  • The 60 Hz monitor which works fine is using a HDMI to Display Port adaptor, I can't even remember why, it was just already connected to the cable and I just plugged it in. Idk if the card has multiple HDMI ports
THIS ONLY HAPPENS ON MY 144 HZ MONITOR, I HAVE AN OLD 60 HZ VIZIO SOMETHING OR ANOTHER NEXT TO IT WHICH DOESN'T HAVE THE SAME ISSUES, CHROME WORKS JUST FINE ON IT IF I TRANSFER THE WINDOW OVER.

Last edited:
Aug 26, 2020
Ok, just as an update, I went out to buy a display port cable instead, literally no one had any, checked 2 targets, a walmart, and a staples, and all the local bestbuys close a 6 pm for some reason so I wasn't able to go after work, but I did buy a 'high quality' HDMI cable which appears to have fixed the issue. I'm not sure why it was an issue to begin with as the old cable works with this monitor when plugged into my older computer. Both run at 144 Hz 1080p, at least according to the monitor settings, the nvidea control panel settings, and the windows properties settings.