Question 144 hz monitor 144+ fps in game but mouse movement is not smooth

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 3, 2021
Hello guys

As title says my fps in game is high enough but mouse movement feels choppy, especially while moving fast.
Games I tested were - R6 Siege (vulkan), BF1, BF5, CoD:MW Multiplayer & Warzone, CSGO. Might test more games but I'm playing mainly FPS and this movement issue is very noticeable there, for instance I had not seen it or exprerienced in Witcher 3, SW Fallen Order, Path of Exile etc.

My specs:
CPU - Ryzen 5600x
Mobo - Asus B450 Tuf Pro Gaming (3002 bios, the latest)
Video - Palit 1080 Ti Jetstream Premium
RAM - Crucial DDR4 32GB (2x16GB) 3200Mhz Ballistix Black (BL2K16G32C16U4B)
SSD - Kingston A2000 500GB M2 Drive
PSU - Corsair RM750x
Monitor - LG 24GM79G 144 hz 1080p
Mouse - Logitech G403
Mousepad - Steelseries QCK Heavy

What have I tried already:
  • clean Nvidia drivers reinstall using DDU, from 2018 version to the latest 466.27, max performance for videocard is checked also in 3d settings
  • plugging in every single USB port possible, 2.0, 3.0, 3.1 or something
  • changed my bios version to 3002 (might blame it)
  • changed my CPU from Ryzen 3600 to 5600x (old one went to my brothers rig, now have like 15..30% more fps if anyone cares but issue stays)
  • changed PSU (had some very old Chieftec 650w, it shew me 10.6v on 12v rail and more dropoffs so it was pretty sus)
  • changing 1080ti to friend's 1070 with DDU drivers reinstall ofc, it was the same
  • Windows fresh install on M2 drive & moved games there, drive is 50% full, before I had my system on some old 128gb SSD drive
  • changing mouse polling rate from 1000hz to 500,250,125, also tried older version of G Hub (logitech sofware), 125 hz was way more choppier though, 500 was okay-ish but not smooth either, lower polling rate was, more mouse jittering I had
  • tried friend's Steelseries 310 mouse, no luck; tried some cheap 10$ mouses, since they have 125hz polling rate I assume, everything was way choppier than before
  • uninstalled all Xbox Gamemode stuff preinstalled in Windows & turned it off of course, W10 Game Mode on/off, hardware accelerated gpu scheduling on/off, powerplan changing to "High performance"
  • turning PBO on and off, GPU boost on and off via Thunder Master software by Palit, tried stock RAM speed and XMP
  • disabling Steam overlay, Origin overlay
  • enabling Gsync/Vsync, image is a bit smoother but issue persists
Also tried monitoring whole system with MSI Afterburner OR HWInfo while playing, temps were good, Cpu/Gpu never went above 67-69C, hard drives were 35-45C, CPU was not dropping frequencies it was solid 4400-4650 mhz, frametime was constantly 2-5ms, no spikes. FPS was 300+ in Siege, 170-190 in BFV, 200-250 in BF1, 200+ in CODMW, Warzone is not well optimized anyway lol.

Maybe tried some minor things not mentioned above, nothing really helped. Like it is smooth on first few minutes, maybe 10 minutes but then it becomes choppy fiesta which is painful to play lol.

What I would like to do more is rolling back mobo BIOS, changing mobo (if it's faulty 100%), checking my house grounding (it's pretty old house maybe has little to no grounding), moving to my brother's home & testing his electricity, monitor and g502 mouse just to be sure.

One more thing I've noticed in R6 Siege and in BF1 - moving with my keyboard only was smooth. Playing with gamepad was SUPER smooth like it should be! So it only happens when I'm moving around my mouse, flicking etc.

Googling this issue also shew me alot of threads, some of them are fresh. So I might not be the only one experiencing this. Most of solutions were reducing polling rate from 1000 to 500 and below, and capping fps/using vsync. None of these helped so far, mouse choppiness is still here it's just slightly less present.

Any help would be really appreciated. I can do any measurements, records, screenshots, testings also if needed.

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
This:

"clean Nvidia drivers reinstall using DDU, from 2018 version to the latest 466.27, max performance for videocard is checked also in 3d settings "

Do so manually and reinstall (download, install, re-configure) manually. No third party tools.

Run Windows built-in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Next try "sfc /scannow" and "dism"

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/ho...-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

May 3, 2021
This:

"clean Nvidia drivers reinstall using DDU, from 2018 version to the latest 466.27, max performance for videocard is checked also in 3d settings "

Do so manually and reinstall (download, install, re-configure) manually. No third party tools.

Run Windows built-in troubleshooters. The troubleshooters may find and fix something.

Next try "sfc /scannow" and "dism"

References:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

https://www.howtogeek.com/222532/ho...-system-files-with-the-sfc-and-dism-commands/

Thank you for response. I deleted 466.27 manually and installed it again, without DDU or anything. And ran "sfc /scannow" and "dism", both didn't find anything to repair and reported normal. Nothing helped so far :(
Also tried playing COD:BO2 on working laptop and this monitor last night, got 144 hz via hdmi easily, fps was good (100-150) but mouse movement was the same jerky back and forth even with 3 different mices.
I'm out of ideas really, for me now it's either monitor or electricity. Going to bring this PC to brother's home to check both.

May 3, 2021
Well I'm in my parents house testing PC, mouse, keyboard but using other monitor, everything is butter smooth here, no sign of mouse jiterry ever. Next and probably last step is to move my own monitor here to test full rig, if it's good here then I'm 100% convinced it's electricity issue.

UPD: brought monitor as well, testing whole rig in different house for 60+ mins resulted in no jittery at all. All mouse movement was fluid and stable. Even headshots and flicks were instant, like they had been like year ago.
To anyone who googles this thread of just sees it - this is no grounding, bad grounding, some leak or some electrical issue. Everyone who tells you to turn on vsync, limit fps, reduce polling rate is most likely wrong. Check your house, outlet, surge protector, 220v power cable, everything.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.