Aug 31, 2020
I'm looking at getting the new PS5 or Xbox series x which will supposedly support 4k at 120fps but I obviously know there's no point buying a monitor with a hdmi 2.1 as there so expensive and games won't be running at 4k 120 fps any time soon.
With a roughly £300 budget in mind, I've been looking at these monitors.
4K:
LG UHD 27UL600 - 27 Inch Monitor IPS LED 4K with VESA Display HDR 400, White
BenQ EL2870U 28 Inch UHD 4K 1 ms HDR Eye-Care LED Gaming Monitor, Free-Sync, B.I. Plus Sensor, HDMI, Display Port, Speaker - Metallic Grey
2.5K:
Samsung LC27JG56QQUXEN 27" Curved Gaming Monitor - WQHD 2560x1440, 144Hz, Freesync, 2x HDMI, DisplayPort
Acer Nitro VG270UPbmiipx 27 inch WQHD Gaming Monitor, (IPS Panel, FreeSync, 144Hz, 1ms, ZeroFrame, DP, HDMI, Speakers) Black

When asking people what should I get? They always respond with "what type of games do you play." The problem is I play both FPS and open world games
So my question is which one would you personally recommend?
I've never seen a 2.5k resolution or a game funning over 60fps as I only play on a console, so I don't know if theirs any significant difference between the resolution and gameplay.
another thing is that I currently use a 1080p TV with a normal Xbox one so either monitors will be a massive upgrade for me.
One last thing is, would you guys recommend another monitor? From doing hours of research, these were the best I could find but feel free to recommend another monitor to me.
Have a good day:)
Edit: I'll be using the monitor at my desk

Last edited:
Solution
Simpy put, if you want to sit on the sofa and be far from the screen, it's better to have a larger 4K display. If you are going to be close to the screen, go for a 1440p display. That's what I do. I currently have an Xbox One X that I'm using at my desk on a 1440p monitor and I find it's perfect. In the lounge I have a PS4 Pro that is played on the sofa, it benefits greatly from my 4K TV at those distances. As for refresh rates... I really only want >60Hz for FPS games. If you play FPS games competitively, then that might be of benefit to you. Otherwise, maybe don't bother and just stick to 60Hz.

adamgrant520

Reputable
Jan 6, 2019
if it was up to me i would say go with the 2.5k monitor over the 4k monitor, in my eyes refresh rate beats resolution any day of the week

P.S 2k= 1920x1080 and 2.5k=2560x1440 :p

EDIT: you might want to look at the samsung cjg5, it is 299 pounds, and is 1440p 144hz. its the monitor i use and i have 0 complaints about it!

Reactions: Daan987
Simpy put, if you want to sit on the sofa and be far from the screen, it's better to have a larger 4K display. If you are going to be close to the screen, go for a 1440p display. That's what I do. I currently have an Xbox One X that I'm using at my desk on a 1440p monitor and I find it's perfect. In the lounge I have a PS4 Pro that is played on the sofa, it benefits greatly from my 4K TV at those distances. As for refresh rates... I really only want >60Hz for FPS games. If you play FPS games competitively, then that might be of benefit to you. Otherwise, maybe don't bother and just stick to 60Hz.

Reactions: Daan987
Solution