1440P 144Hz Gaming & Content Creating PC

Nov 3, 2018
hello, so this is my next PC that I'm going to build together for gaming and video editing (on after effects, premier pro & sony vegas). I was looking to spend around 2000$-2500$ while also being able to afford a really good monitor as well.

to kinda paint a better picture I will be doing 1440p gaming and I am looking for the gameplay to be very smooth with decent frame rates and refresh rates. I am a hardcore gamer that enjoys a lot of video games. Such as Battlefield 1, Rainbow Six Siege and Metal Gear Solid V. I look forward to buying more next gen games as they come out in the next year. For example, I'm looking to even pre-order Battlefield V, Cyberpunk 2077 & World War Z on the PC as well.

If anyone can help a bit with some advice or suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it :)
Looking for opinions too!

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/visionide/saved/#view=NJbdXL

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

- Have changed the monitor from an ASUS 1440p 144hz Monitor to an Samsung 1440p 144hz Monitor that is also curved. (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/KmjJ7P/samsung-lc32jg50qqnza-320-2560x1440-144hz-monitor-lc32jg50qqnza)

- Changed the motherboard from an Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero to an Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master. (https://pcpartpicker.com/product/fyrmP6/gigabyte-z390-aorus-master-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z390-aorus-master)

- Changed the graphics card from an ASUS GeForce GTX 1080ti to an Gigabyte GeForece GTX 1080ti (AORUS) because there are currently none in stock in Canada. Although I may be waiting for a longer period of time for the Asus GPU to come out back in stock and perhaps get the price dropped down so then I wouldn't have to pay nearly around 3k for the final build.
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/cHFXsY/gigabyte-geforce-gtx-1080-ti-11gb-aorus-video-card-gv-n108taorus-11gd

[EDITED 2018-11-05 FOR CHANGE OF SPECIFICATIONS ON THE PC]

Thank you to vMax and coozie7.

Solution
This is a tough one as you are looking for the very best of both worlds. Ultimatly the insanely expensive 9900K will provide stellar FPS at 1440p 144Hz provided it's married to a top end card like a GTX 1080ti or above and batter it on the editing side as well.

Still the 8700K will also provide FPS upto the 9900K or just a fraction below so as not to notice but will suffer a little on the video edditing side...not too much but there will be a difference.

Finally on the AMD side you really have only one option and that is the Ryzen 2700X and again, that will definitely handle the video editing side but will suffer on the high refresh rate side....But you do save a lot of money....
This is a tough one as you are looking for the very best of both worlds. Ultimatly the insanely expensive 9900K will provide stellar FPS at 1440p 144Hz provided it's married to a top end card like a GTX 1080ti or above and batter it on the editing side as well.

Still the 8700K will also provide FPS upto the 9900K or just a fraction below so as not to notice but will suffer a little on the video edditing side...not too much but there will be a difference.

Finally on the AMD side you really have only one option and that is the Ryzen 2700X and again, that will definitely handle the video editing side but will suffer on the high refresh rate side....But you do save a lot of money....

Solution
Apart from the insanely expensive MB, and questionable image quality of the TN based monitor-I cannot get on with the colour shift and poor contrast of TN panels-I can't for the life of me see anything wrong with the build you have linked.

Suggested other monitors:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Monitor: Asus - MG279Q 27.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor ($495.86 @ OutletPC)
Monitor: Samsung - LC32JG50QQNZA 32.0" 2560x1440 144Hz Monitor ($399.99 @ B&H)
Total: $895.85
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-11-03 14:27 EDT-0400

Overall a very good build and I also agree on re looking at your motherboard choices. Hardware Unboxed have just done a great video on YouTube covering the higher end Z390 motherboards from Asus, ASRock, MSI and Gigabyte and the conclusion is quiet unexpected...so worth a look before you pull the trigger on the motherboard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lAE3PgWoRc

My choice would also be the 8700K so I like the build.

Nov 3, 2018

so true, thanks for the lookout :)

Nov 3, 2018

Is it worth paying for the 9900K right now? or should I wait until a price drop happens? I'm working overtime while doing school so I wouldn't really mind spending the extra buck if it's that worth it.

Also what would you use instead of the Asus MB currently on the saved parts list?

Personally it is not worth it as the 8700K is just fractions of the 9900K, in fact so close as in real world metrics you would not even see the difference and it is a great overclocker. The saved money can be better spent on other components...and most importantly you can upgrade to the 9900K as it will come down in price at some point and selling your 8700K will net you a good price when the time comes...

As to motherboards, the Gigabyte Z390 series has a great VRM setup, looks amazing, can handle anything you want to throw at it but there BIOS does slightly let down a great motherboard. I think you cannot go wrong with any from the Gigabyte Master, ASRock Taichi or the MSI Ace...All 3 motherboards have been reviewed by quiet a few and they all come out as very solid and top end boards....

Nov 3, 2018
I see, straight crucial from the video :) thank you very much vMax.