Question 1440p 144hz Monitor Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 30, 2019
I was looking at monitors and wasn't quite sure which way to go. There is a bunch of options out there and wanted to hear some thoughts from people. Is it fine to go cheaper or is definitely worth it to go more expensive? I had sort of found a middle ground when looking with the Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor. It seems like a relatively new one on the market with a good response time and IPS panel.

Thanks

Is this for gaming?

Do you require a specific SIZE limitation, or can you use a 32" 1440p display? 32" is barely larger, in reality, than a 27", as seen here with my 32" next to my 27".

I8BcqAb.jpg

Oct 30, 2019
Is this for gaming?

Do you require a specific SIZE limitation, or can you use a 32" 1440p display? 32" is barely larger, in reality, than a 27", as seen here with my 32" next to my 27".

I8BcqAb.jpg
Yes I would say strictly gaming. I have tried larger monitors in the past and dont think I'm ready to go over 27" personally.

So, personally, I'm not a fan of that display, or IPS panels in general, for gaming. Yes, they've gotten a lot better. Yes, I still think they suck for gaming because the motion blur reduction methods using strobing is far from perfect and the GTG response times are nowhere near as low as those of TN and VA panels.

For somebody who needs a dual use monitor because they are also doing professional work on that panel, it can be a good compromise option with an IPS that has a fairly low response time, but for a gaming only system that doesn't need the same level of color accuracy as a graphic artist or similar professional, it's really not a preference.

A really good VA panel, that has excellent color accuracy, good color coverage, good black uniformity (Which MOST IPS panels do not, especially if you don't have very bright room conditions) and doesn't have four corners that look like somebody is standing behind the screen pointing flashlights at the back of your panel, is a much better option IMO. Even some of the TN panels are getting pretty excellent in the area of color accuracy these days. I think the only REAL benefit to an IPS panel for a gamer might potentially be the viewing angles if you have a triple display but most people don't have three IPS panels to game on and are sitting directly in front of their display so the viewing angles are somewhat of a moot point for most users.

What are your hardware specifications?

I'll assume you want some kind of variable sync compatible monitor as well?

Oct 30, 2019
So, personally, I'm not a fan of that display, or IPS panels in general, for gaming. Yes, they've gotten a lot better. Yes, I still think they suck for gaming because the motion blur reduction methods using strobing is far from perfect and the GTG response times are nowhere near as low as those of TN and VA panels.

For somebody who needs a dual use monitor because they are also doing professional work on that panel, it can be a good compromise option with an IPS that has a fairly low response time, but for a gaming only system that doesn't need the same level of color accuracy as a graphic artist or similar professional, it's really not a preference.

A really good VA panel, that has excellent color accuracy, good color coverage, good black uniformity (Which MOST IPS panels do not, especially if you don't have very bright room conditions) and doesn't have four corners that look like somebody is standing behind the screen pointing flashlights at the back of your panel, is a much better option IMO. Even some of the TN panels are getting pretty excellent in the area of color accuracy these days. I think the only REAL benefit to an IPS panel for a gamer might potentially be the viewing angles if you have a triple display but most people don't have three IPS panels to game on and are sitting directly in front of their display so the viewing angles are somewhat of a moot point for most users.

What are your hardware specifications?

I'll assume you want some kind of variable sync compatible monitor as well?
I have a 9700k and 2080 super

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014
DONE! If you're ready to put on the big boy pants and leave those lesser than natural divinity behind, this is the only monitor you need for 21:9 gaming or 21:9 anything. Funnily enough, I bought the Asus version of this monitor a few years back (PG348Q) and it cost about $1300. This monitor is $750 on Amazon.

MSI Optix MPG341CQRV
120 Hz
21:9
1ms
3440x1440
Curved
34"

MSI OPTIX MPG341CQR
144 Hz
1ms
3440x1440
Curved
34"

I did a search on Amazon in 8 different ways and either of these two monitors were always at the top of the list of best products.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019
DONE! If you're ready to put on the big boy pants and leave those lesser than natural divinity behind, this is the only monitor you need for 21:9 gaming or 21:9 anything. Funnily enough, I bought the Asus version of this monitor a few years back (PG348Q) and it cost about $1300. This monitor is $750 on Amazon.

MSI Optix MPG341CQRV
120 Hz
1ms
3440x1440
Curved
34"

MSI OPTIX MPG341CQR
144 Hz
1ms
3440x1440
Curved
34"
Thanks, but that monitor is going to be too big for me. Looks like a good deal though.

Someday, when you put your big boy pants on, you might actually recommend something that is realistic for the majority of users, not some unrealistic upper stratosphere budget monitor that 99% of people will never spend the money for, and, for most people anyhow, that usually means less than 500 dollars. There is absolutely no reason you can't get a fantastic display for 300-500 dollars. None.

Paying more for a display is just trying to show off your ePeen to friends or strangers. Unless of course you are a professional gamer OR a person who uses the display professionally for work in the video game, graphic arts or other 3d design industries or something along those lines where it can be justified.

It's just not realistic for the majority of people to spend more than that, nor should it be.

Plus, MOST people I know who are very avid gamers, DISLIKE ultra-wide OR curved monitors for gaming. Too much hit on performance for the majority of people, for too little in return, plus most of us simply are bugged by the curved displays. And I assure you, I am talking about people wearing big boy pants. In fact, most of them run this site, so, let's not get carried away with statements like that. :)

dalton044, the problem though is that at 1440p 144hz the majority of displays either ARE curved, for the 27" models, or are larger, at 32". Seems the majority of 1440p 144hz displays with less than 5ms GTG response times that are worth looking at are ALSO larger than 27", much like my 32GK650F-B, so while I understand you don't want a monitor over 27", do you have issues with a curved display too?

I just think you're really limited in your options at that resolution because for the most part those features are reserved for larger panels. Honestly the majority of people I know personally with 27" displays, they are typically 1080p, but it's really on the cusp because I think 1440p is appropriate for anything that is 27" or larger. Manufacturers of good quality examples, well, there just aren't that many of those out there anymore at least if you want one that's flat too.

Oct 30, 2019
Someday, when you put your big boy pants on, you might actually recommend something that is realistic for the majority of users, not some unrealistic upper stratosphere budget monitor that 99% of people will never spend the money for, and, for most people anyhow, that usually means less than 500 dollars. There is absolutely no reason you can't get a fantastic display for 300-500 dollars. None.

Paying more for a display is just trying to show off your ePeen to friends or strangers. Unless of course you are a professional gamer OR a person who uses the display professionally for work in the video game, graphic arts or other 3d design industries or something along those lines where it can be justified.

It's just not realistic for the majority of people to spend more than that, nor should it be.

Plus, MOST people I know who are very avid gamers, DISLIKE ultra-wide OR curved monitors for gaming. Too much hit on performance for the majority of people, for too little in return, plus most of us simply are bugged by the curved displays. And I assure you, I am talking about people wearing big boy pants. In fact, most of them run this site, so, let's not get carried away with statements like that. :)

dalton044, the problem though is that at 1440p 144hz the majority of displays either ARE curved, for the 27" models, or are larger, at 32". Seems the majority of 1440p 144hz displays with less than 5ms GTG response times that are worth looking at are ALSO larger than 27", much like my 32GK650F-B, so while I understand you don't want a monitor over 27", do you have issues with a curved display too?

I just think you're really limited in your options at that resolution because for the most part those features are reserved for larger panels. Honestly the majority of people I know personally with 27" displays, they are typically 1080p, but it's really on the cusp because I think 1440p is appropriate for anything that is 27" or larger. Manufacturers of good quality examples, well, there just aren't that many of those out there anymore at least if you want one that's flat too.
Im not opposed to curved, I think I could get used to that. It seems like no matter what I get I will need to make a compromise some where, most likely based on panel type as they all have positives and negatives. Im currently using an XL2411 so really anything is going to be an upgrade. There is just a million options and none seem like the perfect choice.

I went from a 24" 1080p 144hz panel at 1ms gtg response time to a 3440x1440 ultra wide IPS panel at 5ms latency (PG348Q). Though I really like the 21:9 ultrawide aspect ratio and the wide screen for Battle Royale open world games, I do feel at times that the input lag has a negative impact on my first person shooter reaction time/gameplay. This to me defeats the purpose of playing the game and is almost like you're playing drunk while everyone else is sober. That being said i'm going to demote this monitor to use for video editing rig and most likely purchase the monitor in your original post:
The Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz and i'm going to tell you why.

If I were to give some advice based on my experiences, is that there are some great TN, low latency (1ms GTG) 165hz panels out there that are 2560 x 1440p resolution. That resolution is the sweat spot because it has the perfect amount of pixel density for how large the screen is at 27" and the best part is the panel can go all the way up to 165hz which can accommodate high end hardware should you decide to upgrade. The important take way is to make sure you have at least 1ms grey to grey latency and a good pixel density for how large the screen is.

Here is an example like yours in the original post which is a great choice, but this one is a TN panel and has sub 1 millisecond GTG response time :
PCPartPicker Part List
Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27BQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor ($399.00 @ B&H)
Total: $399.00
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-06 19:52 EST-0500

The only difference between this one and your first pick is that yours is IPS and IPS supposedly has a slower response time (5ms gtg), but because it is an IPS, the panel generally has better color accuracy and viewing angles. Though there is some truth to that, monitors in general have come a long way in terms of technology so TN panels really aren't horrible as people make them out to be when it comes to colors and viewing angles don't really matter if you're looking directly at the panel while you play your games.

Conclusion: The monitor you chose in the original post is the BEST because not only is it an IPS panel, it also has low 1ms GTG response time, 165hz, has HDR and is perfect pixel density, being a 2560 x 1440p 27" panel. Typically IPS panels are 5ms gtg latency or more so that is a great find, as this monitor has newer technology to allow IPS and low 1ms GTG latency. If I had to choose a gaming monitor today it would be your pick. Job well done.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2019

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014

Literally the only difference is how much one values working hard for something. It isn't about how much it costs. You really shouldn't shame people for working their asses off to get what they have. Sorry if the only people asking any of these questions are kids still in junior high, but I'm not. The reason I suggest items at the top of the market is because I know how to successfully work hard to get them. But I agree that such a style of doing things in every part of life is definitely not for everyone and pretty specifically millennials who are raised to have an attention span of 3 seconds where they either trick their parents into buying them everything or giving up on the idea altogether. This will be my third ultrawide monitor and I'm not sure where you're coming from but I wouldn't ever use a flat panel display ever again. The OP is welcome to get whatever they'd like of course and feel free to get it by whatever means you can. Also btdubbs, my computer case by itself is about 550$ so... I guess that puts me in the 1%? Based on your logic though it's a shame that I'm in the 1% simply because I like to work hard.

Last edited:
Lots of people work hard, but most of them have responsibilities and commitments beyond themselves OR simply don't prioritize the way you obviously do. That's fine, both ways. If you earn your money you are certainly entitled to spend it any way you wish. It has nothing to do with working "hard". It has nothing to do with "how much" you work. It even has nothing to do with how much you "make" while working. I know of plenty of people, on this forum, who make substantially more in all probability than you or I ever will that would never consider paying over 500 dollars for a monitor because while they do have some prerequisites due to their gaming requirements they realize that they can get the majority of the features of a 700 dollar display, on a 300-400 dollar display, especially if they wait a 6-12 months after that display has been released because they generally drop in price substantially as newer models with newer technologies are released making the older ones obsolete to some degree or other.

The idea that a person who doesn't want to spend that kind of money on a display simply doesn't work hard or isn't a "big boy" like you, would be laughable if it wasn't so pathetically small minded. Different people have different priorities, and THAT is really the reason why one person might be willing to spend that kind of money while another person is not. It has nothing whatsoever to do with your skewed rant. Many people, and even myself at times, spend money on things they really can't "afford" to spend it on, because they want it, while they refrain from spending it on things at other times they might want because they understand that in the list of priorities it ranks rather lower than other needs or obligations and that concessions are sometimes necessary so that we can get most of what we want or need while also not disregarding the rest of the list.

And this:

my computer case by itself is about 550$ so..

Speaks DIRECTLY to what I said earlier about the need to show off your ePeen. It's really as simple as that. It's wonderful that you have nice stuff and that you work hard to get said nice stuff. Nobody can discredit the idea that you have earned it or that you deserve it, at least nobody here anyhow, but the fact remains that not everybody needs a 700-1000 dollar display. In fact, most people will not ever be likely to spend more than 350.00 on a monitor EVER in their lives. Even people who game a lot. It's great that you can, but not everybody is in your shoes and it's not because they don't work just as hard as you do. Maybe they are a single parent taking care of three kids and working two jobs, who likes to game when they get the chance but doesn't prioritize it over other concerns and before you say "well then maybe they just shouldn't be gaming at all" I'll interject and say that "what they do" is no more your concern than what YOU spend your money on is to them.

Furthermore, don't ever come on this forum and start trying to disparage people for not being willing to spend the kind of money that you are willing to spend. Making initial posts to the effect that "this is what you need to be a big boy and if you are not willing to spend that you are not one" is a really good way to get immediately on the bad side of just about every member of this community. We all understand that our members come from all walks of life and as such, they are ALL entitled to have respect and dignity extended to them regardless of their financial means unless and until they show they are undeserving of it.

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014
Lots of people work hard, but most of them have responsibilities and commitments beyond themselves OR simply don't prioritize the way you obviously do. That's fine, both ways. If you earn your money you are certainly entitled to spend it any way you wish. It has nothing to do with working "hard". It has nothing to do with "how much" you work. It even has nothing to do with how much you "make" while working. I know of plenty of people, on this forum, who make substantially more in all probability than you or I ever will that would never consider paying over 500 dollars for a monitor because while they do have some prerequisites due to their gaming requirements they realize that they can get the majority of the features of a 700 dollar display, on a 300-400 dollar display, especially if they wait a 6-12 months after that display has been released because they generally drop in price substantially as newer models with newer technologies are released making the older ones obsolete to some degree or other.

The idea that a person who doesn't want to spend that kind of money on a display simply doesn't work hard or isn't a "big boy" like you, would be laughable if it wasn't so pathetically small minded. Different people have different priorities, and THAT is really the reason why one person might be willing to spend that kind of money while another person is not. It has nothing whatsoever to do with your skewed rant. Many people, and even myself at times, spend money on things they really can't "afford" to spend it on, because they want it, while they refrain from spending it on things at other times they might want because they understand that in the list of priorities it ranks rather lower than other needs or obligations and that concessions are sometimes necessary so that we can get most of what we want or need while also not disregarding the rest of the list.

And this:

Speaks DIRECTLY to what I said earlier about the need to show off your ePeen. It's really as simple as that. It's wonderful that you have nice stuff and that you work hard to get said nice stuff. Nobody can discredit the idea that you have earned it or that you deserve it, at least nobody here anyhow, but the fact remains that not everybody needs a 700-1000 dollar display. In fact, most people will not ever be likely to spend more than 350.00 on a monitor EVER in their lives. Even people who game a lot. It's great that you can, but not everybody is in your shoes and it's not because they don't work just as hard as you do. Maybe they are a single parent taking care of three kids and working two jobs, who likes to game when they get the chance but doesn't prioritize it over other concerns and before you say "well then maybe they just shouldn't be gaming at all" I'll interject and say that "what they do" is no more your concern than what YOU spend your money on is to them.

Furthermore, don't ever come on this forum and start trying to disparage people for not being willing to spend the kind of money that you are willing to spend. Making initial posts to the effect that "this is what you need to be a big boy and if you are not willing to spend that you are not one" is a really good way to get immediately on the bad side of just about every member of this community. We all understand that our members come from all walks of life and as such, they are ALL entitled to have respect and dignity extended to them regardless of their financial means unless and until they show they are undeserving of it.

Yeah I'm not really where hostility towards my way of doing things is coming from tbh but at the same time it doesn't make me want to rush out and decide to get lower quality hardware than my means. I agree though that I should probably leave these forums since I don't seem to have any like-minded people to me here which is ok. For the record, I don't think that a $330 monitor has anything on what you can get for paying $700+ for one. That's almost like suggesting Hz, refresh rate and the ms# don't really do much which is pretty darn incorrect for anyone who is really considering buying a display worth their time.

Last edited:
So based off what I could tell in that thread, I’m not very knowledge with a lot of the monitor terminology, most people did not like the ELMB feature or thought it was worth less. To get the “1ms response” you have to have ELMB enable on the monitor with G sync. I’m also not sure is Adaptive Refresh Rates even useful for say running BFV at 144hz+
It is something to consider and keep in mind that link only applies to the TN panel. You don't have to choose that specific TN monitor or that make and model. Just keep the specification like refresh rate, resolution and ms response time etc uniform. Keep in mind Asus is a reputable company and im not convinced 100% of all VG27BQ TN panels are experiencing those symptoms. If you had a problem with yours, Asus would make it right. Every monitor even from the same make and manufacturer can have performance variations differentiating from one to the next and that's why you have a return policy & warranty period. That thread is exactly that, just a thread with a few people on it and doesn't speak for the masses.

Here are some other low ms response panels that would be great choices:

PCPartPicker Part List
Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU 23.8" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor ($429.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $429.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-07 14:38 EST-0500

PCPartPicker Part List
Monitor: Asus ROG SWIFT PG278QR 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor ($515.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $515.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-07 14:37 EST-0500

I specced out one of my family members the 165hz Asus TN panel and was actually one of the best monitors I ever gamed on. And the following LG has new Nano IPS techology allowing for really fast 1ms response times and HDR:

PCPartPicker Part List
Monitor: LG 27GL83A-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($379.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $379.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-07 15:25 EST-0500

LG has really come a long way and if I had to choose a monitor today it would be something like this (though they do make a 27" version above):
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J50c82iC0PU

Last edited:
Reactions: PCDesignerR

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014
It is something to consider and keep in mind that link only applies to the TN panel. You don't have to choose that specific TN monitor or that make and model. Just keep the specification like refresh rate, resolution and ms response time etc uniform. Keep in mind Asus is a reputable company and im not convinced 100% of all VG27BQ TN panels are experiencing those symptoms. If you had a problem with yours, Asus would make it right. Every monitor even from the same make and manufacturer can have performance variations differentiating from one to the next and that's why you have a return policy & warranty period. That thread is exactly that, just a thread with a few people on it and doesn't speak for the masses.

Here are some other low ms response panels that would be great choices:

PCPartPicker Part List
Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU 23.8" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor ($429.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $429.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-07 14:38 EST-0500

PCPartPicker Part List
Monitor: Asus ROG SWIFT PG278QR 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor ($515.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $515.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-07 14:37 EST-0500

I specced out one of my family members the 165hz Asus TN panel and was actually one of the best monitors I ever gamed on. And the following LG has new Nano IPS techology allowing for really fast 1ms response times and HDR:

PCPartPicker Part List
Monitor: LG 27GL83A-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor ($379.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $379.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-11-07 15:25 EST-0500

LG has really come a long way and if I had to choose a monitor today it would be something like this (though they do make a 27" version above):
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J50c82iC0PU

How weird! All of these monitors are more than $350. Nobody buy these EVER! lol

"In fact, most people will not ever be likely to spend more than 350.00 on a monitor EVER in their lives. "

How weird! All of these monitors are more than $350. Nobody buy these EVER! lol

"In fact, most people will not ever be likely to spend more than 350.00 on a monitor EVER in their lives. "

You seriously have the nerve to make a post like this after telling other people to put their big boy pants on?

Pretty sure your snark has been lost on everybody here and you're just making yourself look foolish now.

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014
You seriously have the nerve to make a post like this after telling other people to put their big boy pants on?

Pretty sure your snark has been lost on everybody here and you're just making yourself look foolish now.

This is so common with Tom'sHardware and I don't get a lot of the time where you 'mods' get your info. Yeah I do have the nerve because many people are sitting here laughing at YOU! There isn't a single monitor in here that's been linked that's even under $350 and I'm not sure WHY YOU are a MOD because YOU are a TROLL. But like I said I've been on here for a few years now and there is so much wrong info that comes out of here it's really astonishing and concerning the idea that people are coming here to get experience and being handed references like this.
"after telling other people to put their big boy" - I feel like you've been holding on to this detail for like 5 too many posts. But I do enjoy the entertainment of your "you dare to challenge me!?" mentality. Yes, I, I dare to challenge the information you believe yourself to be providing to others here on this forum.

Last edited:
Under 350 dollars, and better than the majority of displays out there including a great many of them that ARE over 500 dollars.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-32GK650F-B-Monitor-FreeSync-Technology/dp/B07FLGR2PN

Unfortunately, much as with pretty much everything you've suggested, it's bigger than the OP would like, so it's not viable, but it's certainly a fantastic display and it won't run you the price of a house payment.

PCDesignerR

Honorable
BANNED
Jul 30, 2014
Under 350 dollars, and better than the majority of displays out there including a great many of them that ARE over 500 dollars.

Unfortunately, much as with pretty much everything you've suggested, it's bigger than the OP would like, so it's not viable, but it's certainly a fantastic display and it won't run you the price of a house payment.
Lol if you think $750 is a house payment I feel very sad for you. What a boring monitor no wonder it costs that.

Interesting choice as it's close to a 1440p ultrawide but wouldn't be my selection due pixel density and having 5 times the amount of latency that a gaming monitor should have. At that size you might as well go 4k or 1440p Ultrawide because aiming won't be as easy because it's basically a stretched out 27" 2560 x 1440p panel with the same amount of pixels. The same can be said for 27" 1080p panels (As opposed to the 24" 1080p standard) which typically aren't a gamer's go to, especially for first person shooters where aiming is important.

Status
Not open for further replies.