Build Advice 1440p 144Hz Upgrade Build

RLCosta14

Honorable
Mar 29, 2016
Hello all, my intention is to upgrade my build to confortably hold 100+ fps at 1440p in most open world titles (like RDR2 and future FPS titles with a good emphasis on realistic visuals) and to improve thermals and noise that seem to be of corcern at the moment.

The plan is to acquire the parts and build in the first 3 months of 2023 (hopefully with the lower end cards already out and with a DDR5 price dip).

I would apreciate any advice about my planned build (especially CPU cooler) and i'll try to explain the reasoning behind the parts below.

This somewhat describes my planned upgrade at the moment:

c8EYREX.jpg

* : The choice of the RTX 3070 is due to the new 40 Series or AMD counterpart not being out (basically between a 4060 or the AMD counterpart) however it's to establish a placeholder native performance for the GPU.
**: I'm not confortable with my pick of the Noctua NH-D12L for a CPU cooler, i'm not too sure what other options are viable.

CPU: Picked the 12600k however i don't really plan on overclocking, it seems to be a good upgrade and price to performance balance.
MBD: To change to an LGA1700 socket i'll have to replace the Motherboard, and if i'm going to replace the Motherboard i'll not remain using DDR4 as Memory as it doesn't seem to be a very good medium to long term decision for future performance and compatibility.
Cooler: The CPU Cooler i have at the moment does not support LGA1700 socket type and i'll have to replace it whether i like it or not.
RAM: I picked 2x16GB pack of Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5600 memory as it seems pretty solid, not the highest speed or the lowest even though i haven't checked if it has an XMP 3.0 profile.
SSD & HDD: Plan to replace my SATA SSD with an NVMe 1TB drive to hold my OS and partition around 700GB for storage for other applications and a 1TB HDD for other files.
Case: My Z11 Neo Case doesn't have many issues however it's a somewhat open case on the top, quite unpractical to remove panels and dust off, has break out slots for GPU and other PCIe connections therefore the 4000D seems to have a good reputation behind it.
PSU: It doesn't seem to be needed to upgrade my PSU as the wattage for the system doesn't seem to surpass 600W in any scenario.

I hope i've not forgotten any important details and any advice/concerns for my build is most welcome.
Thanks.

Edits (Post-Feedback questions/conclusions):

-> CPU: A likely re-evaluation on my CPU pick with the new boards for an i7-12700KF or just an i5-13600k.
Would a CPU at this level be too much of a money investment given my GPU choice (i,e, GPU bound often)?
-> CPU Cooler: I don't seem to have a good option for an air cooler in retailers i trust for air cooling, there only seem to be 3 or 4 options for an air cooler for an LGA1700 socket, for someone who hasn't watercooled a CPU before is there any good options for an LGA1700 CPU on the watercooler front? I'll be willing to take the hit for a better sound-proofing system and better temperatures.
-> SSD: Any problems with partitioning the OS drive for the OS and storage?
-> RAM: Would 5600Mhz be the most "popular" choice for RAM speed as DDR5 and would it make sense in this system?

Sorry for the long thread.

Last edited:
Intel is due to release the new B760 boards along with the locked cpu's in January so keep an eye out on this site for those reviews. I'd keep your cpu cooler (just get an LGA1700 bracket) and wait for those reviews.

https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VG27AQL1A-Supports-Compatible-DisplayPort/dp/B088MLC8PH/
ASUS TUF Gaming 27" 2K Monitor (VG27AQL1A) - QHD (2560 x 1440), IPS, 170Hz, 1ms, Extreme Low Motion Blur, G-SYNC Compatible $279.99

Last edited:

RLCosta14

Honorable
Mar 29, 2016
Intel is due to release the new B760 boards along with the locked cpu's in January so keep an eye out on this site for those reviews. I'd keep your cpu cooler (just get an LGA1700 bracket) and wait for those reviews.

At the moment bequiet! list all the CPU cooler that they'll ship the LGA1700 mounting for and after emailing them they don't seem to have plans to release one for the Dark Rock Pro 3, are you saying the release of the B760 boards there could be a change?

At the moment bequiet! list all the CPU cooler that they'll ship the LGA1700 mounting for and after emailing them they don't seem to have plans to release one for the Dark Rock Pro 3, are you saying the release of the B760 boards there could be a change?
A big change if these 13 gen locked cpu's are anything like the 12 gen locked cpu's,

i5 12400 / 12400F gaming benchmarks.

i512400.jpg

i7 12700 / 12700F gaming benchmarks.

i712700.jpg

RLCosta14

Honorable
Mar 29, 2016
A big change if these 13 gen locked cpu's are anything like the 12 gen locked cpu's,

Sure, like i said it's a build intended for the 1st trimester of 2023 so i'll re-evaluate my CPU choice then based on prices however the CPU cooler problem like i said it's still there.

The new boards won't help my CPU cooler decision.
There's not mounting bracket available, at least for the Dark Rock Pro 3 (LGA1151 from my previous build), from bequiet themselves. Is there another mounting adapter in the market to allow me to keep my old CPU cooler?

Sure, like i said it's a build intended for the 1st trimester of 2023 so i'll re-evaluate my CPU choice then based on prices however the CPU cooler problem like i said it's still there.

The new boards won't help my CPU cooler decision.
There's not mounting bracket available, at least for the Dark Rock Pro 3 (LGA1151 from my previous build), from bequiet themselves. Is there another mounting adapter in the market to allow me to keep my old CPU cooler?
Wait for the reviews on those locked cpu's to have a better idea of what cooler to purchase. This cooler in the link works fine for the 12 gen locked i7.

https://www.amazon.com/DeepCool-AK620-High-Performance-Dual-Tower-Dissipation/dp/B09CSXS3X4

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/deepcool-ak620-review

RLCosta14

Honorable
Mar 29, 2016
Sadly i would have to order from another country for this cooler, there seems to be very little options for air cooling for an LGA1700 in my country's trusted retailers, plenty of watercooling available, any recommendation for better sound-proofing &/or better thermals?
Cheers.