[SOLVED] 1440p 27" freesync suggestions

elkido122

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
I'm looking to get a 27 inch 1440p freesync monitor to pair with my 6800xt . I've been looking at the gigabyte g27q and the viewsonic VX2758-2KP-MHD and can't decide which one to go with. My budget is no more than 300 bucks , and I don't need all the hdr stuff some come with .. suggestions ? Thanks

Solution
Hey man,

TL;DR at the bottom. I've been looking into the specs you've listed and dove a little deeper. ViewSonic has released a newer model this year with similar but better stats. It's called the ViewSonic XG2705-2K, has a 1ms response time instead of a 3ms response time and the monitor stand is adjustable in height, pivot, swivel and tilt, as opposed to the VX2758-2KP-MHD's tilt-only. The only other differences I could find are marginable (the newer model has 4 Watt speakers, but I'm assuming you won't be using those).

The Gigabyte G27Q seems good on paper, but the 1ms specification might be false advertising, some people are mentioning a higher response time (around 6ms) instead of the advertised 1ms. It also has an OSD menu which...
Hey man,

TL;DR at the bottom. I've been looking into the specs you've listed and dove a little deeper. ViewSonic has released a newer model this year with similar but better stats. It's called the ViewSonic XG2705-2K, has a 1ms response time instead of a 3ms response time and the monitor stand is adjustable in height, pivot, swivel and tilt, as opposed to the VX2758-2KP-MHD's tilt-only. The only other differences I could find are marginable (the newer model has 4 Watt speakers, but I'm assuming you won't be using those).

The Gigabyte G27Q seems good on paper, but the 1ms specification might be false advertising, some people are mentioning a higher response time (around 6ms) instead of the advertised 1ms. It also has an OSD menu which takes some getting used to and also has a external power brick that seems to have some coil whine (buzzing noises). It also has an 8-bit panel instead of all the other monitor's 10-bit panels. I don't have a personal experience with the difference between those, but if I'm to believe the internet, it's supposed to be much more immersive/look a lot better.

There are other options, like the Acer Nitro VG271UP, but I can't really recommend it. The panel seems to be alright, but it lacks some features in other areas and the monitor stand is only tilt-adjustable and it lacks a DisplayPort cable.
The only really viable option is the Lenovo G27q-20, another monitor that was released this year, is a bit cheaper where I live, has a 165Hz panel (as opposed to the other monitors' 144Hz advertised refresh rates), but seems to have some IPS bleeding and glow issues.

Here's your TL;DR: All in all, I feel that the newer ViewSonic XG2705-2K is the safest bet if it is in within your budget. It's the monitor I would get personally but I can't really find any reviews on it. You could give the Lenovo G27q-20 a go, since it seems to be the best bang-for-the-buck monitor, but the IPS bleeding/glow issues could annoy some people. If the two monitors you've mentioned are your only options, the ViewSonic monitor is definitely the one I'd go with.

Solution

elkido122

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
Thanks for the response man. I was thinking about the gigabyte and now think I'll pass cause I'm worried about dead pixels and think I'd trust viewsonic more for less of a chance of dead pixels . I guess viewsonic it is.. looks like around $319 US on Amazon

elkido122

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2014
One last question . I see.the m27q gigabyte looks decent and I also see the xg2705-2k viewsonic . Gigabyte has freesync premium and viewsonic only normal freesync . Will this matter? Thanks