[SOLVED] 1440p, 27 inch, 165hz, VA monitor looks horrible out of box

k1nationIG

Great
Apr 9, 2020
Hello,

my new MSI monitor looks horrible out of the box, what should I do to improve image, color, and text quality?

Edit: The monitor is a MAG272QR and I have a 2070 super, I cannot adjust brightness FYI

Last edited:
Solution
OSD cannot detect USB?
Did you connect your monitor with the usb cable provided?

Once again, I don't feel like I see any difference at all from my 1080p laptop display. If you couldn't tell, I am a beginner at this stuff so let me know what you need to know and I will let you know if I can provide it so you can help me in the best way possible. Sorry about all this

Well its a VA Panel what do you expect to happen?
To see IPS colors?
The main feature of the monitor is 1440p and 165Hz right now you're running it on 60Hz, so its normal to not see difference.

DSzymborski

Titan
Hello,

my new MSI monitor looks horrible out of the box, what should I do to improve image, color, and text quality?

Edit: The monitor is a MAG272QR and I have a 2070 super, I cannot adjust brightness FYI

Adjust it using the settings?

And why can't you adjust the brightness? Are you unable to access the controls? Are the controls not functioning? Are they functioning, but it's not getting as bright as you require?

It's hard to give direct advice about problems with an image that we can't see and no information about what the problem with the image is conveyed to us.

k1nationIG

Great
Apr 9, 2020
Adjust it using the settings?

And why can't you adjust the brightness? Are you unable to access the controls? Are the controls not functioning? Are they functioning, but it's not getting as bright as you require?

It's hard to give direct advice about problems with an image that we can't see and no information about what the problem with the image is conveyed to us.
Yeah, I know what you mean. I am basically asking is there any calibrating software for free that I can use. I did some stuff and it looks a lot better but still. Is there any rule of thumb for contrast, brightness, and sharpness.

DSzymborski

Titan
Yeah, I know what you mean. I am basically asking is there any calibrating software for free that I can use. I did some stuff and it looks a lot better but still. Is there any rule of thumb for contrast, brightness, and sharpness.

What's wrong with the OSD software, the installation of which the manual has directions for?

And what did you mean "did some stuff?" Somehow, we're getting even less information rather than more!

k1nationIG

Great
Apr 9, 2020
What's wrong with the OSD software, the installation of which the manual has directions for?

And what did you mean "did some stuff?" Somehow, we're getting even less information rather than more!
I don't know why but you made me laugh. I went into the monitor's settings and clicked reset. Everything works now including brightness. Once again, I don't feel like I see any difference at all from my 1080p laptop display. If you couldn't tell, I am a beginner at this stuff so let me know what you need to know and I will let you know if I can provide it so you can help me in the best way possible. Sorry about all this

k1nationIG

Great
Apr 9, 2020
I don't know why but you made me laugh. I went into the monitor's settings and clicked reset. Everything works now including brightness. Once again, I don't feel like I see any difference at all from my 1080p laptop display. If you couldn't tell, I am a beginner at this stuff so let me know what you need to know and I will let you know if I can provide it so you can help me in the best way possible. Sorry about all this
OSD cannot detect USB?

OSD cannot detect USB?

Once again, I don't feel like I see any difference at all from my 1080p laptop display. If you couldn't tell, I am a beginner at this stuff so let me know what you need to know and I will let you know if I can provide it so you can help me in the best way possible. Sorry about all this

To see IPS colors?
The main feature of the monitor is 1440p and 165Hz right now you're running it on 60Hz, so its normal to not see difference.

Last edited:
Solution

k1nationIG

Great
Apr 9, 2020

To see IPS colors?
I will do that tomorrow. Sorry if I wasted your time. Also, I am sure my laptop was a TN panel and it was a 15.6 inch screen at 1080p at 60hz, this is a MASSIVE jump. I am sure that right now, I am at 165hz. To be fair, I haven't used a laptop or any computer in a couple months. One last question, hopefully you can answer in time. Is HDR good to use on this monitor, yes or no. During gaming, yes or no. During youtube or movie watching, yes or no. I am assuming its low quality HDR.

k1nationIG

Great
Apr 9, 2020
I will do that tomorrow. Sorry if I wasted your time. Also, I am sure my laptop was a TN panel and it was a 15.6 inch screen at 1080p at 60hz, this is a MASSIVE jump. I am sure that right now, I am at 165hz. To be fair, I haven't used a laptop or any computer in a couple months. One last question, hopefully you can answer in time. Is HDR good to use on this monitor, yes or no. During gaming, yes or no. During youtube or movie watching, yes or no. I am assuming its low quality HDR.
So I found out that the color gamut is 45% NTSC of my old laptop based on Acer's support. It is indeed 60hz but I am shocked to see that it was IPS. Wow.

This is also copy and pasted from their site: "This laptop has an LED-backlit IPS display but it is still an LCD panel. "

So based on that, can you give me a conclusion on which display is going to be better? Its understandable if not,

15.5 inch, IPS, 60hz, 1080p, 45% NTSC color gamut, LED backlit, LCD panel

27 inch, VA, 165hz, 1440p