1440p 60hz or 144hz 1080p

herdleys

Prominent
May 12, 2017
i cant decide whether to go with 60hz 1440p monitor or a 144hz 1080p, i cant afford a 1440p 144hz monitor bc where i live even the most basic one costs over $600, im using a gtx1080 and i really want a solid gaming experience now i knoow this question has been asked thousands of times but still, anyone who have used both can give their opinion would be highly appreciated

the 1440p monitor thats available here is this one ;https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-VX24AH-23-8-2560x1440-Monitor/dp/B01D4TCCZ4

Solution

There is an issue with both choices of yours and it is probably not what you would think. Obviously, the 1440p option with 60Hz is not as great as the 144Hz 1080p because yes smoothness makes a much more important factor in gaming than the...

herdleys

Prominent
May 12, 2017

anything, actually im not like a competitive gamer or anything like that i just really hate screen tearing.

gaborbarla

Distinguished

There is an issue with both choices of yours and it is probably not what you would think. Obviously, the 1440p option with 60Hz is not as great as the 144Hz 1080p because yes smoothness makes a much more important factor in gaming than the increase in resolution but at cost of 60Hz.

But a GTX 1080 only really shows its teeth in 1440p and in fact a gtx 1070 goes very close to reaching 1080 performance at 1080p. This basically means that about 15% of performance of your GTX1080 will be wasted when paired with a 144Hz 1080p monitor.

Still the 144Hz option is a much better one as much more of your performance would be wasted on the 60Hz monitor due to it not being able to show frames above 60Hz.

The BEST option for you is obviously to get a 1440p 144hz monitor. I would save up a bit more and get that because you already have the GTX1080 which isn't a cheap card. Also because the 1440p 144hz monitor will last you probably a few years longer due to it being more futureproof. 1080p is outdated in my opinion. But if you really cant do that then definitely don't go for the 1440p 60Hz and rather get the 1080p 144Hz.

The option I went for is the Acer XG270HU 27" WQHD (2560x1440) 1ms 144Hz monitor and it was on good special and a brilliant value. A very sharp, crisp and fast screen.

Hope this explains it.
Gabor

Solution
I assume G-Sync makes the options too expensive?

High Hz will be much better for high speed games (FPS, racing, etc), if you play slower games with lots of detail then 1440p has an advantage. The 144Hz will make screen tearing less noticeable however capping (not V-Sync) your fps to 60 when using a 60Hz screen nearly eliminates tearing too.

ThomasKK

Reputable
May 1, 2016
Well that's one point of view and i would slightly disagree with gaborbarla's answer:

In my opinion i would narrow it down into 1 simple question - are you a hardcore competitive gamer? with this question i mean, do you play fast-paced games with many other people online, where your choices every millisecond can change the way of the game? - if yes, go for 144Hz. (including esports, csgo, league, dota etc..)

Otherwise, if you play a wide range of games, if you like to play newest AAA titles, maybe you like to plug in a controller with your PC for gaming and if you want to use full potential of a GTX1080 with great graphics and for 99% of humanity fully acceptable framerate of 60Hz, then overall experience of yours would be better with higher resolution screen.

As you can see we all have our opinions. 144Hz is all about speed. A constant 144FPS is needed to avoid lag or stuttering. The aforementioned G-sync would make the monitor more forgiving. That refresh rate is great for racing and flight sims. FPS, RPG and RTS don't see a whole lot of benefit. The benefits aren't only with games. Watch some fast-paced sports like racing or even football and the action will be that much more crisp. Movies can benefit as well. With the screen refreshing itself 144 times per second a lot of frames are available. 1440p can offer much better visuals in games. One could say 1440p uses finer brush strokes. Outside of gaming text can be a bit small. It takes more muscle to output that amount of info. There is more real estate to fill than there is on a 1080p monitor.

Both of those features necessitate a powerful gaming rig.

What are your top 5 games?
What is your average FPS?

It could be a 120Hz monitor would better fit your needs. Idk.

TRENDING THREADS