[SOLVED] 1440p 75hz or 1080p 144hz IPS monitor for Ryzen 2600 - GTX 1070

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
Hi all

I have a Ryzen 2600 with a GTX 1070 (not ti) currently.

I have the opportunity to buy a new IPS monitor albeit not spend crazy money on it.
I won't entertain other panels, I'm IPS fanboy through and through.

I am torn between getting a 2k monitor at 75hz (see if I can overclock it maybe but it I can't it's not the end of the world)
or
getting a 1080p 144hz monitor..?

From one hand I'm thinking maybe I want to experience the +100hz experience but on the other hand I'd also like the idea of gaming at 2K even at 75hz.
There is a concern if at 1080p I'll hit consistently 100+ fps (I mostly play casually FPS like Fallout, Doom, Metro etc - I'm not into competitive online gaming although I may try it at some point, let's say maybe I'll take a stab at Warzone).

I've seen in benchmarks that the CPU has to try harder at 1080p whereas 1440p gaming is more GPU bound.
I was leaning towards 1080p 144hz but then I started thinking that maybe I won't get that 100+ fps experience I wanted so much.

I'm all ears :)

Thanks all

Solution
I'm going to give a quick-and-dirty. There are long articles based on these technologies.

FreeSync/GSync = Variable Refresh Rate. The monitor only updates the image once a new frame is sent from the GPU, unlike "traditional" fixed refresh monitors that refresh at regular intervals.

LFC = Low Framerate Compensation. If the frame rate drops below the minimum VRR range, the last completed frame is displayed twice to bide time for the n+1 frame to be completed and sent to the monitor. A monitor needs to have a VRR upper limit that's equal to (or greater than) 2.5x the lowest refresh rate. 30Hz * 2.5 = 75Hz to have LFC, 40Hz * 2.5 = 100Hz, 48Hz *...

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
What size monitor are you considering?

Country you're shopping in?
Budget?

24-27 inch
UK
up to £200

I did some more research and came up with this one that might best of both worlds so to say
https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/ele...nitor-eiq-27mq95fshdru/version.asp#!##reviews

electriQ 27" IPS QHD 1440p 95Hz FreeSync HDR Monitor

I believe from what I've read and how it looks like that this is the same as the Pixio one with exactly the same specs.

My wife may have something to say about it as she already thinks my existing 24'' Acer one looks quite big in our living room :) but I think this may cover exactly what I need and within budget as well.

That Electriq certainly looks like your best option, especially given the price. If it's like the Pixio PX275h, it's got a 30-95Hz refresh rate range, which is nice (that would also qualify it for LFC). I don't think you're going to beat that at your price point. If/when you get it, report back on your impressions since this isn't a "well known" brand/monitor.

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
That Electriq certainly looks like your best option, especially given the price. If it's like the Pixio PX275h, it's got a 30-95Hz refresh rate range, which is nice (that would also qualify it for LFC). I don't think you're going to beat that at your price point. If/when you get it, report back on your impressions since this isn't a "well known" brand/monitor.

Yeah I'm waiting to see if it'll drop in price, currently £210 but others have found it even down to £160 so I'll keep looking.

Would anyone like to comment on the following dilemma?
Is gaming at 100+ fps 1080p better than 2K at 75 fps?

The thing I don't like about 75Hz monitors is that they don't have LFC. I've used both my 2k 48-144Hz (with LFC) and my brother's 2560x1080 40-75Hz monitor and while his is certainly usable, I did have times when I couldn't quite get game(s) tuned to stay within that range and as a result, had some skipping/tearing. My monitor just works, I attribute that to the more forgiving refresh range and LFC. I still do an initial game settings tune for the FPS I want (or can get), but it's much less involved.

On the "do I need to be >100FPS or is 75FPS max ok?" - that really depends on the game and the player. If you're doing a lot of online PvP first person shooters and such where reaction time is of utmost importance, then statistically higher FPS helps (but that alone is not going to make you a pro gam3r)

mossi

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2013
The thing I don't like about 75Hz monitors is that they don't have LFC. I've used both my 2k 48-144Hz (with LFC) and my brother's 2560x1080 40-75Hz monitor and while his is certainly usable, I did have times when I couldn't quite get game(s) tuned to stay within that range and as a result, had some skipping/tearing. My monitor just works, I attribute that to the more forgiving refresh range and LFC. I still do an initial game settings tune for the FPS I want (or can get), but it's much less involved.

On the "do I need to be >100FPS or is 75FPS max ok?" - that really depends on the game and the player. If you're doing a lot of online PvP first person shooters and such where reaction time is of utmost importance, then statistically higher FPS helps (but that alone is not going to make you a pro gam3r)

Thanks for the reply.
I have a very epidermic knowledge of freesync/g-sync, I wasn't even aware what LFC was.
Is it a feature of more expensive monitors?
I have been looking at monitors quite frequently but I can't say I've noticed it this term.

You mentioned above the EletriQ one has 30-95hz freesync so doest qualify it automatically for LFC?
I'm a bit confused though how your monitor had LFC with lowest freq at 48hz and your brother's that was 40 didn't have it?

I'm going to give a quick-and-dirty. There are long articles based on these technologies.

FreeSync/GSync = Variable Refresh Rate. The monitor only updates the image once a new frame is sent from the GPU, unlike "traditional" fixed refresh monitors that refresh at regular intervals.

LFC = Low Framerate Compensation. If the frame rate drops below the minimum VRR range, the last completed frame is displayed twice to bide time for the n+1 frame to be completed and sent to the monitor. A monitor needs to have a VRR upper limit that's equal to (or greater than) 2.5x the lowest refresh rate. 30Hz * 2.5 = 75Hz to have LFC, 40Hz * 2.5 = 100Hz, 48Hz * 2.5 = 120Hz.

Solution