[SOLVED] 1440p and 1080p dual monitor setup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 7, 2021
Hello,

I currently have 2 1080p 60Hz monitors in a dual monitor setup and it works very well. It is very easy to move from one monitor to the other and there are no issues whatsoever.

I am now thinking of getting a new monitor and going down the 1440p route. Is it possible to have a dual monitor set up with a 1440p 60Hz monitor and a 1080p 60Hz monitor? Will it work OK given the monitors have a different resolution?

I am into flight simulation, so the plan is to have the 1440p monitor display the sim (or game if you want) Full Screen and the 1080p monitor display other addons, PDF documents, chat, OBS, Discord, etc... I am NOT looking at extending the sim display on both monitors at the same time.

Will it cause any performance issues or any general issues?
What about having the game in Full Screen on the 1440p monitor? Any issues to move the mouse from one monitor to the other? For info, I have a RTX3070.

Thank you very much for your insight.

Last edited:
Solution
"Is the slight drop in performance due to the dual monitor setup with 2 different resolutions, or just because because 1440p is more demanding on the system (if my question makes sense)? "

- Because 1440p is more demanding that 1080p.

"What I am trying to assess is whether 2 "different" monitors will affect the performance overall or not. "

- Appart from the slight performance drop in gaming (because 1440p is more demanding than 1080p), no, your other task will perform the same.

" I do expect the PC overall will have to work harder with 1440p, but as long as the dual monitor set does not mess things up, then I am happy. "

- Dont expect a big performance drop, it is not like ur moving from a 1080p to a 8k TV, i...
Apr 7, 2021
Thank you for your reply.

Is the slight drop in performance due to the dual monitor setup with 2 different resolutions, or just because because 1440p is more demanding on the system (if my question makes sense)?
What I am trying to assess is whether 2 "different" monitors will affect the performance overall or not. I do expect the PC overall will have to work harder with 1440p, but as long as the dual monitor set does not mess things up, then I am happy.

Thanks.

"Is the slight drop in performance due to the dual monitor setup with 2 different resolutions, or just because because 1440p is more demanding on the system (if my question makes sense)? "

- Because 1440p is more demanding that 1080p.

"What I am trying to assess is whether 2 "different" monitors will affect the performance overall or not. "

- Appart from the slight performance drop in gaming (because 1440p is more demanding than 1080p), no, your other task will perform the same.

" I do expect the PC overall will have to work harder with 1440p, but as long as the dual monitor set does not mess things up, then I am happy. "

- Dont expect a big performance drop, it is not like ur moving from a 1080p to a 8k TV, i just wanted to warn you about 5-10 less FPS before you move to the 1440p.

The whole aspect of dual (or more) monitors i just dragging the tabs you open on to the other screen. The load on your system stays the same if you have lets say 3 apps open, whether you are using one or more monitors.

Reactions: Fred Nav
Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.