1440p and VRAM: I'm stupid, help.

riskybiz13

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
I've been banging my head off the wall trying to decide if I want to go GTX 760 SLI ($500) or go with a single GTX 770 ($400) and either replace it or go SLI when I need more horsepower. I game on a SINGLE 1080p monitor, so obviously the 770 will suffice for now-- BUT, I plan on snagging a 1440p monitor in the very near future. Well, I'm banging my head off the wall again.

My biggest goal for my build is to not spend a single unnecessary dollar, while still making a machine that will crush next-gen games like the Witcher 3, Titanfall, and Watch Dogs. I want to be able to run these games on ultra settings (I'm willing to skimp down to 2x or 4x aa if I have to, but no other compromises) while maintaining a high FPS-- all on a 1440p monitor.

So, when speaking of a 1440p monitor-- what would you recommend:

GTX 770 2GB
GTX 770 4 GB
GTX 760 2GB SLI (I've just about ruled this option out, though, I'd much rather have the fastest single card I can afford to avoid some potential headaches)

Thanks guys, the help is always appreciated from the pros.

Solution
I never saw upgrading to SLI at a later date to be worth it. The GPU prices never seem to fall drastically to a point where SLI is a good alternative. I think if you want to build an SLI rig do it now, however I prefer to have a single GPU that can be easily upgraded at a later date. I find this to be more cost efficient, yet still performance oriented. Go with the latest Nvidia card you want. Once that becomes obsolete, just buy a new one.

Yes a SLI enabled setup is good, but I think money in your pocket now is better than money in theirs. A newer card down the road will likely have enhanced features. You can bank on it.

magnesiumk

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2011
I never saw upgrading to SLI at a later date to be worth it. The GPU prices never seem to fall drastically to a point where SLI is a good alternative. I think if you want to build an SLI rig do it now, however I prefer to have a single GPU that can be easily upgraded at a later date. I find this to be more cost efficient, yet still performance oriented. Go with the latest Nvidia card you want. Once that becomes obsolete, just buy a new one.

Yes a SLI enabled setup is good, but I think money in your pocket now is better than money in theirs. A newer card down the road will likely have enhanced features. You can bank on it.

Solution

CaptainSprinkles

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013
Im also thinking of upgrading to a 1440p in the near future. Why do you say you will not sli to avoid potential headaches? Im pretty sure thats the route I'll be taking, 2 sli 760s. I'll be going with the 4gb version though.

riskybiz13

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013

I've read about a host of problems that can come from SLI, not to mention that not all games are SLI compatible. It's also much more of an investment, making the decision to upgrade to a newer card entirely much more difficult.

CaptainSprinkles

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013

I have read about games not being compatible but not many. Haven't seen much about problems though, other than power consumption and heat. Any others i should worry about? I figure invest about a hundred dollars more now, rather than a few hundred bucks later. Plus my psu cant handle two 770s =/