1440p Gaming System

SouthOfTheRiver

Reputable
Feb 8, 2016
I'm building from scratch a new rig for gaming at 1440p. I don't play any FPS or anything competitive, so I'm not worried about 144fps, but I'd like it to be stable at 60fps for the next couple of years. I play pretty much everything else though - real time strategy, adventure (Assassins Creed/Tomb Raider), turn based strategy, racing, RPGs (skyrim/fallout4).
The upgrade path would be another 980 in a couple of years, (hence the power supply), and more RAM when needed.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/3dRmYJ

So my question is, have I messed anything up? Is there any scope for saving money? is 1440p at 60fps at very high/ultra going to be possible for a few years? I know that a 980 is a bit of an unusual choice, but I really don't want to pay for the 980Ti and I don't think a 970 would be powerful enough.

Thanks!

SotR

Solution
A GTX 970 is perfectly capable at 1440p, assuming you run most games at high rather than ultra. At that resolution you don't really need AA, which will save a considerable amount of GPU power. A 980 Ti is only required if you demand very high frame rates and are a complete graphics snob. Personally, I'd rather keep my £170.

I definitely agree that a better PSU is required, particularly if any CPU overclocking is involved. Tom's Hardware has a PSU tier list at http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html which you should check. Seasonic and XFX are very highly rated, but I've never seen Seasonic PSUs available in the UK.

jollypirate

Honorable
Jul 18, 2014
If you want to play on highest setting for some time on 1440p i would get a 980 ti, you can save some money on ram and get a 8gb set which wont limit any games and you can get a cheaper case like the define s to lower the overall cost

SouthOfTheRiver

Reputable
Feb 8, 2016

Thanks for the reply. Downgrading to 8MB and the Define S would save me (about) £60, but upgrading to the 980 ti is going to be ~£170, so I'm not too keen on that. And games are already being released with 8GB reqs (Battlefront, Fallout4) so I dont think it will be too long before more than that is needed.

So are you saying that I'd need to drop to high settings to stay at 60fps in a year or so? I think I might be ok with that...

From a cost/performance perspective it's hard to justify the 980. It's only performs about 10% better than a 970 but can access all 4gb VRAM without any slow down. The 980ti however performs inline with sli 970's so you get a lot more for its extra cost. Agree a 970 wouldn't be my choice for 1440p, I'd probably wait until I could get the 980Ti as it's such a big step up.

Also you want a better quality PSU for such a high end setup.

SouthOfTheRiver

Reputable
Feb 8, 2016

Ok, seems like I will have to go and see if I can find some extra cash then...

Could you recommend one? PSUs are the area I know the least about, so I'm not 100% sure what I'm looking for.

A GTX 970 is perfectly capable at 1440p, assuming you run most games at high rather than ultra. At that resolution you don't really need AA, which will save a considerable amount of GPU power. A 980 Ti is only required if you demand very high frame rates and are a complete graphics snob. Personally, I'd rather keep my £170.

I definitely agree that a better PSU is required, particularly if any CPU overclocking is involved. Tom's Hardware has a PSU tier list at http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html which you should check. Seasonic and XFX are very highly rated, but I've never seen Seasonic PSUs available in the UK.

Solution

SouthOfTheRiver

Reputable
Feb 8, 2016
I do plan to eventually go down the SLI route, so that's why I went for the high wattage PSU. I actually realised that the MoBo doesnt support SLI, so I swapped it out for ASUS Pro Gaming. It's a little bit more expensive, but I think the extra features make it worthwhile (and since I saved some money on the graphics card I can afford it). Thanks everyone for your help - here is the final build if anyone is interested:

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/t76h4D