[SOLVED] 1440p Monitor Display and 4K Video Questions

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
I plan to build a new gaming PC either later this year or early next year. My primary use will be PC gaming likely at 1440p resolution with a secondary use for basic 4K drone video editing. Unless there are good Black Friday or Cyber Monday deals on 4K gaming capable monitors, I plan to purchase a 1440p gaming monitor. My questions are since my drone can shoot video in 4K, will the 4K video be automatically downgraded to 1440p resolution during playback on my 1440p display? If yes, will that alter the 4K video file properties in any way or will the 4K video file properties remain as they are and still play the video in 4K resolution if I play the video on either another 4K monitor or 4K TV?

Thanks.

Solution
It's the same as playing 720p on a 1080p monitor or 1080p on a 720p monitor, it just scales. Even in the video editing software, the preview window isn't full screen and is scaling. Unless you have a separate monitor to fullscreen the preview, you're always seeing scaled content even editing 1080p on a 1080p monitor. You could always zoom and see the full res but not see the whole video. In any case, the data is still the same and it has no effect on encoding.
It's the same as playing 720p on a 1080p monitor or 1080p on a 720p monitor, it just scales. Even in the video editing software, the preview window isn't full screen and is scaling. Unless you have a separate monitor to fullscreen the preview, you're always seeing scaled content even editing 1080p on a 1080p monitor. You could always zoom and see the full res but not see the whole video. In any case, the data is still the same and it has no effect on encoding.

Solution