Filip_2707

Reputable
Sep 10, 2016
I am looking for a new monitor. I currently own GTX 1060 6GB and I use an old Samsung monitor(20", 1600x900), and the GPU serves my needs more than fine. I usually don't play very demanding games, apart from Escape from Tarkov, and I will probably try one of the new upcoming MMOs.

My main question is, will my gpu be able to keep up with the 1440p resolution? Or should I just get a FHD monitor?

My main games are less demanding - LoL, CSGO, Valorant etc. so I'm confident I would be able to hit those 144 fps in those games, but If I decide to play a more demanding game, would I be able to maybe lower the resolution back to FHD and will that heavily impact my experience? I do play to upgrade my PC in 2 years from now, and then I would probably get a gpu that has no problems with 2K.

Solution
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWYnUYlknhA

I would.. advise against it? It's hard to give a conclusive answer, What happens if for some reason you do plan to play a game that's a bit more demanding and your 1060 cant hold atleast 60 fps? Images will look blurry if you try to lower the resolution to 1080p on a 1440p monitor because now the image is stretched and pixels dont align well.
If my opinion matters then I'd only get a 1440p monitor if I plan to upgrade my GPU in the near future. If you plan to stay on your 1060 for another year or two I would advise against it. Maybe a 1080p 144hz monitor would be better since you'll be able to take advantage of the high refresh rate since valorant...
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWYnUYlknhA

I would.. advise against it? It's hard to give a conclusive answer, What happens if for some reason you do plan to play a game that's a bit more demanding and your 1060 cant hold atleast 60 fps? Images will look blurry if you try to lower the resolution to 1080p on a 1440p monitor because now the image is stretched and pixels dont align well.
If my opinion matters then I'd only get a 1440p monitor if I plan to upgrade my GPU in the near future. If you plan to stay on your 1060 for another year or two I would advise against it. Maybe a 1080p 144hz monitor would be better since you'll be able to take advantage of the high refresh rate since valorant and CSGO will definitely give you stable 144fps on your current GPU and if you do upgrade later on, more games will be able to use the high refresh rate.

Reactions: maevekcspencer
Solution