Question 1440p monitor looks worse than 1080p with DSR

m0niyaw

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
1440p worse quality than upscaled 1080p monitor

I bought a 1440p monitor (gigabyte g27qc). When I play games like Splitgate or warzone at native 1440p it looks blurry and the aliasing is very jaggered when set to low.
My friend has the gigabyte M32Q 32" and his game looks crisp even without AA. Is this an issue with my monitor?

I have set side by side my old 1080p monitor using DSR at 1440p, the results are shocking. The 1080p monitor with DSR produces sharper and higher quality textures in all games.
My friend's monitor can produce high quality texture and sharp images. I even copied his monitor settings (since the models are similar enough) but mine still looks very bad.

Is there something I need to change on my PC? I checked the resolution and it shows 2560x1440, I use DP 1.2

Desktop looks fine, text is sharp, it's only in games. I tried all the games I played comparing my two monitors side by side. The 1080p monitor running DSR 1440p looks WAY better.

What am I missing? Cause clearly it shouldn't look the way it does.

TLTR: my 1440p monitor looks worse than my other 1080p monitor with DSR resolution set to 1440p.
Friend's 1440p monitor doesn't have this issue, his games look crisp.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Well i got that from here. Maybe change gamma settings as well. Smearing or whatever theyre describing seems different to what you're experiencing so don't know. But if it's only in games then it could help.

View: https://www.reddit.com/r/Monitors/comments/hodxkk/bought_the_27_1440p_165_hz_gigabyte_g27qc_gaming/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=android_app&utm_name=androidcss&utm_term=1&utm_content=share_button

Also check in game resolution scaling options if applicable if you lowered to instead use dsr. If nothing of the kind or Geforce experience isn't changing anything else then perhaps this particular monitor isn't for you.

https://www.rtings.com/monitor/reviews/gigabyte/g27qc

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Trying to use a DSR on a 1440p resolution is an issue. The only DSR above 1440p is 4k, which is a different scale.

4k is quad 1080p, 1440p is quad 720p. Different pixel counts and positions. That's taking a 1080p frame and forcing it to fit a 720p resolution. It's going to be blurry.

Imagine a single line of pixels, the very bottom row. With 1080p, there's 1/2 a pixel gap to the left edge of the screen because the second row, right above it starts at the edge, the second pixel sitting between 1st and 2nd pixels of the row above and below it.

Which is backwards to 1440p. Bottom row starts at the edge, 2nd row is indented.

If that was a black line, 1080p uses 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 3rd pixels etc. Same pixels on 1440p are far from straight.

Somewhere you have a 1080p/4k setting for resolution, applied on a 1440p monitor, it's not going to be a great picture.

Reactions: boju

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Yes. A game resolution of 1080p, upscaled to 1440p with a 1440p DSR, to play at the monitors native 1440p isn't going to look good. The game itself needs to support 1440p natively.

If Op upscaled a 1080p to 4k with a DSR, it'd look great, but HD and FHD are not the same scale. The DSR only emphasises any discrepancies between the two.

It's like using 'fill' or 'stretch to fill' when taking a 4:3 and converting it to 16:9 or 16:10, the picture looks bad, but taking a 16:9 and converting it to 4:3 looks fine, it just chops off the edges. Depends on how it's made to fit.

The same thing happened with 1366x768 and 720p in older games like Starwars Kotor, but what needed to happen was a manual change of the resolution in the hexadecimal code and change it to 1366x767, which changed the bottom row of pixels. The game would then stretch to fill the screen, since 16:9 was supported, but the lines now filled the right pixels starting at 1, 2, 2, 3 straight instead of 1, 2, 2, 3 crooked.

m0niyaw

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
Yes. A game resolution of 1080p, upscaled to 1440p with a 1440p DSR, to play at the monitors native 1440p isn't going to look good. The game itself needs to support 1440p natively.

If Op upscaled a 1080p to 4k with a DSR, it'd look great, but HD and FHD are not the same scale. The DSR only emphasises any discrepancies between the two.

It's like using 'fill' or 'stretch to fill' when taking a 4:3 and converting it to 16:9 or 16:10, the picture looks bad, but taking a 16:9 and converting it to 4:3 looks fine, it just chops off the edges. Depends on how it's made to fit.

The same thing happened with 1366x768 and 720p in older games like Starwars Kotor, but what needed to happen was a manual change of the resolution in the hexadecimal code and change it to 1366x767, which changed the bottom row of pixels. The game would then stretch to fill the screen, since 16:9 was supported, but the lines now filled the right pixels starting at 1, 2, 2, 3 straight instead of 1, 2, 2, 3 crooked.

I upscaled 1080p monitor to 1440p using DSR and the details and quality of textures is much sharper and detailed than my native 1440p monitor at native resolution. I literally don't know how this is possible.
In Apex Legends character models are more detailed, clothes, faces, building, terrain, literally everything looks better on the upscaled 1080p monitor compared to the native 1440p one.
In order to achieve similar results I would have to upscale the 1440p monitor to 1.20x which kills my FPS (but it looks amazing).

At this point i'm thinking it could be an issue with windows 11 or something software related because the monitor otherwise works as intended. I even tried different HDMI and DP cables. Just native 1440p doesn't look good. It feels like I'm playing 1080p on a 19" monitor, high DPI for sure but render quality isn't where it's supposed to be. My friend with his 32" gigabyte monitor (with lower dpi of course) plays the same games I play and they look fantastic, sharp and detailed. I can't wrap my head around this.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I run a 4k DSR on my Skyrim through GE optimization. The picture, with all the 4k/8k mods looks fantastic, although I must also deal with in-game fonts that are now rendered at 4k resolution, so are tiny in comparison.

So I get where you are coming from with that. But thats a FHD resolution upscaled to QFHD. What you've done is upscale a FHD resolution to QHD, Quad High Def, which isn't the same thing. Either the game isn't supporting the native 1440p and does support a 1080p rendered to 1440p, which has nothing to do with the monitor itself, since that's a hardware render happening prior to going down the cable, or there's a setting missed somewhere and final render is 1080p trying to be made to fit the monitor native 1440p resolution.

That could be a global nvidia setting in NVCP or in GE or even in the game settings itself.

m0niyaw

Commendable
Feb 9, 2020
I run a 4k DSR on my Skyrim through GE optimization. The picture, with all the 4k/8k mods looks fantastic, although I must also deal with in-game fonts that are now rendered at 4k resolution, so are tiny in comparison.

So I get where you are coming from with that. But thats a FHD resolution upscaled to QFHD. What you've done is upscale a FHD resolution to QHD, Quad High Def, which isn't the same thing. Either the game isn't supporting the native 1440p and does support a 1080p rendered to 1440p, which has nothing to do with the monitor itself, since that's a hardware render happening prior to going down the cable, or there's a setting missed somewhere and final render is 1080p trying to be made to fit the monitor native 1440p resolution.

That could be a global nvidia setting in NVCP or in GE or even in the game settings itself.

Should I DDU and reinstall the driver?

EDIT: Tried, didn't help

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Or, get on the phone and go line by line through every setting, in game/global, GE, everything and see exactly what settings are different. It won't be anything as innane as liw/med/high stuff, it'll be monitor settings, optimizations, performance vs quality etc.