[SOLVED] 1440p not a big upgrade from 1080p?

MountainDREW

Prominent
Dec 2, 2019
Hey all, I haven't really been on this forum for a while (and when I was on here I was using an older account with an email I don't use anymore), and I just recently upgraded my PC and also my monitor, from 1080p ultrawide 60Hz to 1440p 144Hz. Am I the only one who feels underwhelmed by the upgrade from 1080p to 1440p, especially compared to the huge difference between 720p and 1080p? Like sure there are less jaggies, but you can save money on the monitor and just increase the AA. It doesn't look significantly clearer, and going back 1080p doesn't seem any blurrier in comparison like when you go back to 720p after using 1080p. I guess the curve flattens a little in terms of fidelity you gain the higher in resolution you go? Is it just me, or do other people have the same experience? If so, how's the upgrade to 4K?

Solution
I should clarify I actually went from a 16:9 24" 1080p to a 29" ultrawide 1080, and then went to a 27" 1440p, sorry for being confusing. But when it comes to size I don't think I could realistically go beyond 27". I mean you must have a really big desk with your monitor further back to be comfortable with a 32", right?
Yes, the monitor + stand on the 32" was too big for my standard desk. It felt cramped. I had to get a vesa mount and hang it on the wall my desk is up against. Hung, it comes out as far as the 24" on the desk next to me.

1440 shines on a larger monitor. If this was 27", text would look too small for me.

MountainDREW

Prominent
Dec 2, 2019
When upgrading your monitor, go with bigger size screen and you won't be underwhelmed. ;)
Screen size is much more important than resolution.
I dunno man, I went from a 24" 1080p to a 27" 1440p and it feels kind of uncomfortable even after I used it for a month. To be clear I'm using it for gaming, not for other things so that might be why

Balefire

Reputable
Oct 18, 2020
4k is great - especially for gaming
though, I'm not sure if that's due to the res or that my display is large... since i use my tv as a monitor:LOL:

that being said, it absolutely kills my gpu... my laptop intel uhd cant even begin to keep up and my rx 5500 xt struggles to output more than 60 frames at medium/high settings

i don't think that the refresh rate is that important, unless you're playing e sport titles, then sure... otherwise, in games like the witcher 3 and red dead 2, i dont really notice the difference

Hey all, I haven't really been on this forum for a while (and when I was on here I was using an older account with an email I don't use anymore), and I just recently upgraded my PC and also my monitor, from 1080p ultrawide 60Hz to 1440p 144Hz. Am I the only one who feels underwhelmed by the upgrade from 1080p to 1440p, especially compared to the huge difference between 720p and 1080p? Like sure there are less jaggies, but you can save money on the monitor and just increase the AA. It doesn't look significantly clearer, and going back 1080p doesn't seem any blurrier in comparison like when you go back to 720p after using 1080p. I guess the curve flattens a little in terms of fidelity you gain the higher in resolution you go? Is it just me, or do other people have the same experience? If so, how's the upgrade to 4K?

MountainDREW

Prominent
Dec 2, 2019
I think such things are better on large screens. On small displays/monitors you may actually feel fine with 720-900p, while on humongous ones 4k-8k feels better. How big is your monitor?
That's a fair point. I know I'm repeating what I told the other person but I went from a 24" 1080p to a 27" 1440p.

MountainDREW

Prominent
Dec 2, 2019
4k is great - especially for gaming
though, I'm not sure if that's due to the res or that my display is large... since i use my tv as a monitor:LOL:

that being said, it absolutely kills my gpu... my laptop intel uhd cant even begin to keep up and my rx 5500 xt struggles to output more than 60 frames at medium/high settings

i don't think that the refresh rate is that important, unless you're playing e sport titles, then sure... otherwise, in games like the witcher 3 and red dead 2, i dont really notice the difference
I used to play a lot of heavily modded Skyrim, so I understand that. I mean, you literally can't go over 60 in that game without ruining the physics, but for games like that I focus more on the eye candy than the framerate. But I play a decent amount of Halo on Steam, and I definitely noticed a difference and performed better, especially with quick sniper shots, and I'm trying to get into CSGO

NoFaultius

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
You had an ultrawide 1080 so that makes the effect less. Going from a regular 24" 1920 x 1080 to a 32" 2560 x 1440 was a HUGE change. In between those 2 monitors, I used a 32" 4k monitor (3840 x 2160). The picture was better on the 4k monitor, but it was only 60hz refresh rate. I cheaped out and only spend $280, the cheapest one on sale at Microcenter when I was there. I do a lot of gaming, so I wanted a 144hz+ monitor, so I finally settled on the Asus Predator 32" and I love it. Although I miss the picture quality and dimension of the 4k, the performance increase going from 60hz to 165hz while gaming was worth it. Since going to 1440 @ 165hz my gaming performance is noticeably improved. It is like I see more and faster than I used to . My k/d is 2.0 in BF4, loving it. It makes a huge difference to me.

If I could get a 4k monitor that was 144hz, and not insanely priced, I would. Throw in the new micro led tech, and its a done deal.

That's a fair point. I know I'm repeating what I told the other person but I went from a 24" 1080p to a 27" 1440p.

27 inches? Uh...mb if it was 31-41 inches, it'd feel a bit different. Maybe you just got a budget 1440p display? Anyway, the 144 Hz refresh rate is a good thing, especially if your games require more reaction, like esports ones. Still, depends on the game as someone mentioned, though not in every game developers allow more than 1080p or more than 1440p.
It also depends on how accurate your eye is, too.

MountainDREW

Prominent
Dec 2, 2019
You had an ultrawide 1080 so that makes the effect less. Going from a regular 24" 1920 x 1080 to a 32" 2560 x 1440 was a HUGE change. In between those 2 monitors, I used a 32" 4k monitor (3840 x 2160). The picture was better on the 4k monitor, but it was only 60hz refresh rate. I cheaped out and only spend $280, the cheapest one on sale at Microcenter when I was there. I do a lot of gaming, so I wanted a 144hz+ monitor, so I finally settled on the Asus Predator 32" and I love it. Although I miss the picture quality and dimension of the 4k, the performance increase going from 60hz to 165hz while gaming was worth it. Since going to 1440 @ 165hz my gaming performance is noticeably improved. It is like I see more and faster than I used to . My k/d is 2.0 in BF4, loving it. It makes a huge difference to me.

If I could get a 4k monitor that was 144hz, and not insanely priced, I would. Throw in the new micro led tech, and its a done deal.
I should clarify I actually went from a 16:9 24" 1080p to a 29" ultrawide 1080, and then went to a 27" 1440p, sorry for being confusing. But when it comes to size I don't think I could realistically go beyond 27". I mean you must have a really big desk with your monitor further back to be comfortable with a 32", right?

I mean you must have a really big desk with your monitor further back to be comfortable with a 32", right?

It sometimes needs a desk upgrade, i guess.
Or also can be hanging on the wall or something else like a specific stand, though then it requires some job with mounting, screws, removal of the desk-stand and proper cable management. Ofc, the monitor has to have proper holes for it. I see 4x such even on my 1080p-monitor.

MountainDREW

Prominent
Dec 2, 2019
Did you upgrade your gpu at the same time otherwise you must have sacrificed game settings a lot to get similar FPS at 1440p to what you had at 1080p? I went from 1080p to 1440p but also upgraded my gpu and found the improvement quite noticeable.
Yeah, I also upgraded from an RX 570 to an RTX 2060, which is enough to hit 100+ FPS in every Halo game @1440p, and I could probably hit 120FPS consistently if I drop to 1080p. Unfortunately I can't test that because I'm in college and decided to leave the 1440p at home and bring the 1080p ultrawide with me

MountainDREW

Prominent
Dec 2, 2019
It sometimes needs a desk upgrade, i guess.
Or also can be hanging on the wall or something else like a specific stand, though then it requires some job with mounting, screws, removal of the desk-stand and proper cable management. Ofc, the monitor has to have proper holes for it. I see 4x such even on my 1080p-monitor.
Maybe, or I'm just really sensitive. Or both. I'm a college student though so I either have my REALLY small dorm desk or my medium sized desk at home, and I really should stop making big purchases now anyways lol

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Maybe, or I'm just really sensitive. Or both. I'm a college student though so I either have my REALLY small dorm desk or my medium sized desk at home, and I really should stop making big purchases now anyways lol
It also depends on the type monitor you bought VA, TN, IPS along with the quality of the panel.

I have a 1440p IPS monitor and can't even imagen going back to 1080p.

NoFaultius

Reputable
Sep 2, 2019
Yes, the monitor + stand on the 32" was too big for my standard desk. It felt cramped. I had to get a vesa mount and hang it on the wall my desk is up against. Hung, it comes out as far as the 24" on the desk next to me.

1440 shines on a larger monitor. If this was 27", text would look too small for me.

Solution

deadpoolxxxxx

Prominent
May 14, 2019
What was your panel in your previous monitor? The perfect size for 1440p(QHD) is 27' because going further high at this resolution would decrease the pixel density and that really feels trash and most of the time hurts the eyes. But if it is WQHD then 32' is fine but in your case the 27' seems to be the perfect choice. It's most likely that the issue is with the colour adjustment of your monitor or you much have switched to a different panel. For proper brightness contrast blackness (colour adjustment) google out your best settings for your monitor.

Nov 2, 2020
Yeah, I also upgraded from an RX 570 to an RTX 2060, which is enough to hit 100+ FPS in every Halo game @1440p, and I could probably hit 120FPS consistently if I drop to 1080p. Unfortunately I can't test that because I'm in college and decided to leave the 1440p at home and bring the 1080p ultrawide with me

I apologize in advance, as I know next to nothing about the Halo series. Are you referring to the "Master Chief Collection"? Aren the majority of the games in that collection more than a decade old (nearly two in the case of 1 and 2, I think)? That being the case, is the remastering of those old games so significant that they require an RTX 2060 to hit 100fps in 1440p?